• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Edyn - smart garden

https://edyn.com/

Has anyone seen this? It looks super cool. It's got a solar powered garden sensor that measures light, moisture, humidity, and nutrition. It connects via wifi to your phone and a water valve that will automatically water when needed.

Granted, people have been growing plants for thousands of years without anything like this but I still think it's a cool idea.

What do you think?

Seems pretty cool but I wouldn't get one for the price tag. Curious as to how it monitors the soil condition. Moisture I get but not nutrients. 

In thinking further ahead I could see some time ahead when growers point something like a tablet at a plant or animal and get a full description of such plant or animal including deficiency's or eracation of.

D3monic said:
Seems pretty cool but I wouldn't get one for the price tag. Curious as to how it monitors the soil condition. Moisture I get but not nutrients. 

Most likely it measures nutrients using electrical conductivity. (EC)  Can't imagine it being a very thorough test, though.  Maybe the 3 majors?

There is a guy in Oregon who never waters and mimics his garden after the forest and grows everything organically. I'll try and find the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiGof48XVCQ

Device does look cool, but I keep thinking: You have got to be kidding me.  A smart phone app that tells you if your garden is dry?  Because it is so hard to take a look yourself?  OK, maybe if your garden were in the next county.

Video is way cool and I can personally say yes about mulch making water requirements go down.  It also brings toads, turtles, snakes, and other pest controllers.  But oh wow going the route of mulching everything, that deep would take me forever.  I guess if you could order it in by the truck it would work.  Although that sounds over the top, you gotta figure how much money you are saving by growing much of your own food.

ajdrew said:
Device does look cool, but I keep thinking: You have got to be kidding me.  A smart phone app that tells you if your garden is dry?  Because it is so hard to take a look yourself?  OK, maybe if your garden were in the next county.

Video is way cool and I can personally say yes about mulch making water requirements go down.  It also brings toads, turtles, snakes, and other pest controllers.  But oh wow going the route of mulching everything, that deep would take me forever.  I guess if you could order it in by the truck it would work.  Although that sounds over the top, you gotta figure how much money you are saving by growing much of your own food.
remember he has been doing it for decades and gets it all for free.

PS- I've been mulching this morning with forest hummus. :)

Savina, in retrospect I could have encouraged folk much better by saying exactly what you did.  I am sorry.  My frustrations from a homesteading forum are coming out.  Inevitably, those forums seem to be taken over by the doomsday prepper types who think they can throw seeds at the ground and have a garden that will sustain them.  So I wind up forgetting that there really are people who understand it takes years to develop most chunks of land.

I also forget that folk can often get things for free.  County came bye yesterday and mowed the first 10 feet on the side of the road.  I am off with my grass sweeper to get free grass clippings after exhausting mine.

Back