• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Abracazebra Destroyed

So I had all these nice cherry tomatoes & some unknown worm came up each night an striped a plant.
I checked them & nothing gone without a trace .
So now there all gone everything else is fine .
I need to inoculate my soil before I put anything else in that bed
I am wondering if anyone knows what this could be can it be?

Tomato horn worm.  Gotta catch them in the act.  They're really hard to see, because they're camouflaged... But it's still there.  They are creatures of habit, so they won't wander until they've fully defoliated your plant.  Look harder.

Diatomaceous Earth spread around each plant.
I had cut worms destroy about 50 pepper plants last year before I used D.E.

Sounds like hornworms to me, they can strip a plant bare pretty quickly.

Easiest way to find the hornworms on your plant is to use a UV flashlight or blacklight at night. Hornworms dont glow like scorpions but they do stand out against tomato foliage under UV light. I originally bought my UV flashlight for hunting scorpions but it works great for hornworms too and was only $10 on amazon.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008133KB4/

This isn't my video but it's a great example of how hornworms look under UV light on tomatoes:
If you don't feel like squishing them manually or you have a big infestation BT works pretty well for all things caterpillar or worm shaped in addition to DE like Winland suggested.

Also if you want to see pics of glowing scorpions I have a couple in the Creepy Crawlies thread here: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37696-the-thread-of-creepy-crawlies/?p=834864

It would come up form the ground at night an eat all the leaves of one plant leaving it a twig .
They where still little plants might be a cut worm I did kill one of those when I was getting the beds ready

Cutworms have a tendency to cut whole plants off when they are small, or chew off the leaves. (which you will find at the base of the plant)  Hornworms have more of a tendency to defoliate the plant, and not so much just chew stuff off and let it drop.  A hornworm makes your plants look like they've been hit by hail, but without a lot of debris.  Cutworms are just wasteful destroyers.

Back