• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil How to fert a soiless mix??? (I'm not sure how much I should be using)

So I planted my peppers in promix/sunshine #4 (both seem nearly identical based on ingredients and recommendations here) with about 1/5 each compost and perlite added. They went into 5 gal grow bags and I added a few tablespoons of bonemeal and Osmocote per instructions on the container.

From what I can tell the soiless mix is about 1/1/1 NPK or a VERY lightly nuted mix. Osmocote is 14/14/14 and is supposed to feed for 4 months. I don't know the nute ratio of the compost. I foliar spray with Epsom salt about every 2 weeks, and I water through with plain water every 1-2 days based on temps.

Am I good? Should I be adding anything on a regular basis? I have Dr Earth bone meal, fish meal, and blood meal.

I overdid ferts when my seeking were in solo cups. They have responded GREAT to transplanting but want to make sure they are getting all they need without overdoing it.

Thanks!

austin87 said:
So I planted my peppers in promix/sunshine #4 (both seem nearly identical based on ingredients and recommendations here) with about 1/5 each compost and perlite added. They went into 5 gal grow bags and I added a few tablespoons of bonemeal and Osmocote per instructions on the container.

From what I can tell the soiless mix is about 1/1/1 NPK or a VERY lightly nuted mix. Osmocote is 14/14/14 and is supposed to feed for 4 months. I don't know the nute ratio of the compost. I foliar spray with Epsom salt about every 2 weeks, and I water through with plain water every 1-2 days based on temps.

Am I good? Should I be adding anything on a regular basis? I have Dr Earth bone meal, fish meal, and blood meal.

I overdid ferts when my seeking were in solo cups. They have responded GREAT to transplanting but want to make sure they are getting all they need without overdoing it.

Thanks!

BTW - no pics right now, but no signs of deficiency or excess,
post some pics !

Alright, here we go! These aren't all the plants but a decent start.

The red scotch bonnet below was pretty sickly in the red solo cup (I am 99% sure I overfertilized and/or had salt buildup causing nutrient lockout) so some of the lower leaves still don't look great but since replanting it's exploded with new growth that looks very healthy.

These last 2 were store bought (Home Depot) plants - one is a chile de arbol and the other is a tabasco. I think in that order but I'm not sure.

The tops of the buckets are also covered with grow mulch (http://kellogggarden.com/products/kellogg/soils/?s=gromulch) to help slow evaporation and it has a very light (0.30-0.10-0.10) nutrient profile.

Thanks for your help!

You could use hydroponic nutes and control to about 600 ppm in your water.

The usual chile grower problem is too much fertilizer.

Keep it simple! I just 1/4 tsp dynagro to 1 gal as suggested pour from a milk jug with holes in the lid for 3 secs per solo cup mine are great. ( before it rained all day for near a week ) they're in shelter finally.

Back