• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

What percent water do you like?

One of my recipes here came out to being 50% water.

Can boil down and figure it out, but am interested in what people here prefer.
Also, is there a point where ingredients separate in bottles due to water?

I will rarely use water in hot sauce, usually only if a batch needs a bit of thinning.  Viscosity is very much personal preference.  Some like the dripper top thinner sauces, others like the non dripper top pour-able sauces.  I don't use gums or thickeners in my stuff, and they will separate after a couple weeks in the fridge.  Just shake em up and you're ready to roll though.  :)

I've been wondering the same thing. If I don't add water to a recipe then it doesn't come out with the viscosity of most commercial sauces. Instead it's like a thick pasta sauce. And there is no way I'm going to use all acids because then it will overwhelmingly taste like vinegar or lime. 

Semi-related (and likely stating the obvious)... I'm finding that the level of puree has a lot to do with the amount of water needed. I haven't been able to dial in a specific repeatable method but I think those two factors are very dependent on each other. 

the only water i use is in my fermentation brine. It is just enough to cover the mash and also adds some weight to the finished product. I cook my sauce down though so that water is reduced a bit to create the consistency i like.

I use wine for my brine never had a problem with viscosity issues as FROG DOG pointed out I use enough brine to cover my mash by about an inch or so. After boiling then food mill back in pan boil then into the ninja for final spin perfect every time,. But as Smoke pointed out depends on how you like it, usually is sorted out during processing. Never had to add additional liquid. And never have so much brine I have to boil it forever. Just watch your measurements weigh everything take notes and dial in the perfect sauce every time! :)

Back