• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking I Got Your Beef Tongue Right Here, Fella! BANG!!!

Wrapping up the Memorial Day weekend with a BANG, if I do say so myself.  A very non-traditional smoked beef tongue, cooked over charcoal/hickory on the Big Poppa Del Rogue.

Got a caption?  It's about a 9-incher...Keep it tasteful, boys...

Skinned and gnarly.

Made a quick rub of kosher salt, coarse ground pepper, granulated garlic, cayenne, and oregano.

In the Big Poppa Del Rogue.  Took about 90 minutes at around 288F.

160F.  Wrapped the 9-incher in foil at this point with a splash of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA.  Pulled it at 200F.

Time for 1-hour rest.

Smells as good as any brisket I've encountered.  Big hit of oregano.

Chopped and mixed with pepper jack, cilantro/onion. 

In the Big Poppa Del Rogue.

I stuffed a couple with pulled pork and sharp cheddar, too.

One of the best things I've ever eaten.  Topped with homemade salsa roja and sour cream.  Just stupid good.

EAT THIS!!  BANG!!!

Damn it! I retract my previous statement, about it being fairly cheap. I used to pay 8-$10 for a large tongue. Now $16+!!!

I'm going check local butcher.

Yeah, it
OCD Chilehead said:
Damn it! I retract my previous statement, about it being fairly cheap. I used to pay 8-$10 for a large tongue. Now $16+!!!
I'm going check local butcher.
Yeah, it's over priced. Mine was given to me.

I'm thinking it might be better if after it reaches 200F, put it into a foil pan of braising liquid to tenderize it until fork tender.

Par boil it for a 50 min and it will skin right out
More you do it the better you get at doing it
50/50 Sea Salt and black pepper,well seasoned oak and steady temp control to 195,pull it and foil it
Then wrap it in a thick towel to settle at least one hour
The less you do the better they are
Corn tortilla's,salsa verde and fresh cilantro ((LEAVE IT SIMPLE))

I do 4-5 every weekend year round,they freeze well too
Brisket doesnt hold anything next to a well smoked cow flapper

I first ate Tongue in a N.Y. Deli.
It was steamed,not boiled.
Loved it.
I think they cooked it like their Corned Beef or Pastromi.
Spice didn't taste much different,the meat taste showed through...
Never thought about totally smoking it.
I usually steamed it until 1/2-2/3rds cooked them finnished it off in a cold smoke (oak and or Hickory or a combination).
I thought it needed steaming first to tenderize it.

Same thing with Beef Heart-so I gotta try out just smoking both of them,no steam first.

Makes sense though,maybe a Long cold smoke would tenderize it as well as a short steam.

I loved the Mom and Pop type Delis in N.Y.
Most I went to were in the family for Generations.
Most were run by old Country Jewish People,The Meat had to be cool or they wouldn't use it...Not meant as a Racist remark.
Their standards were just higher than a lot of other Deli's.
They used and stayed with the way they wanted their product to be.
All were reasonably priced,though maybe a buck or 2 more.
They made such Great eats,they could have charged 2X more and I'd eat there anyway.
Proportions were Large,Taste was XLNT.
Yes,1 Deli made better whatever than the others.You went to 1 to get Great Pastromi,Another for Corned beef or whatever.
All were great eats.
I think why their eats were so good is because,long before I was born,the shop was a Butcher shop originally.
They graduated to selling their product,in a Deli.
I kinda think they used to sell A! Quality stuff and got tired of people ruining their choice products.
Decided to sell a product to give Customers a clue as to what their stuff Should taste like If cooked right or whatever.

I never expected a post about smoked tongue.
Very Cool!
Thanks!

Just read TNKS post.
Kinda like what I was thinking,except I'd steam it rather than Par boil.
Unless I used the water from the Par boil too cook other things with.
Water/boiling tends to be a thin line with stuff at times.Boil a min. too long and the good stuff gets into the water,loss of taste or whatever in the meat.

But I think TNKS is experienced,not a problem.

Back