• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is it the heat?

Put some of the same things into a high tunnel and into the field on the same day.  The ones that went into the high tunnel are twice the size or more than the ones in the field.  It has rained a lot.  Trying to decide if the decreased water in the tunnel is doing it or if the extra heat is doing it.

Maybe it's the higher pressure, which results in a concentration of the atmospheric gases available to the plant.  Combined with something closer to optimal watering, and a bit of legginess, from decreased light saturation.

One of the gases that can concentrate in a greenhouse, is ethylene.  Normally, this responsible for causing fruit to mature. (as in tomatoes)  Too much ethylene is a bad thing, but it's pretty hard to achieve those concentrations, short of individual tenting of plants.  In growing plants, ethylene will cause plants to grow more squat and stout.  But it's been my observation that if light levels are a little below recommended, you can also get some pretty thick legginess, if I can use that term.

I say the extra growth is because of the extra heat and more consistent heat, especially during the night. Here in the northern part of KY the temps have been quite a roller coaster ride until recently.

President Trump said:
I say the extra growth is because of the extra heat and more consistent heat, especially during the night. Here in the northern part of KY the temps have been quite a roller coaster ride until recently.
On the weather in KY this spring... wow.  I was mowing without a shirt in April and shivering in May.

Thank you Mr. President.

to much water.

We have had plenty of heat down here in Dallas, but way to much rain.

I had 4 plants in pots under my patio that got sun, but no rain.  They were getting huge where as my plants that were out in the elements 100% were tiny.  I actually pulled 4 of those plants and swapped them into the pots for the big guys.  One of the little tiny plants that was out in the garden beds I think has actually kicked the bucket so to speak, but we shall see if it recovers.  Its not looking good, but it wasnt looking that much better being constantly drowned.

When we get 2-3 days without rain the plants all go crazy.

Back