• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Purple hull peas and mustard greens

This is original recipe minus a bunch of stuff. You can check out the complete recipe here. http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017904-purple-hull-peas-and-mustard-greens-in-smoky-potlikker
  1. Over medium heat, warm the oil in a large Dutch oven or other soup pot. Add the onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Don’t let the vegetables brown. Stir in the garlic and cook another minute. Stir in the pepper, bay leaves.
  2. If using ham hocks, add them along with 10 cups of water, bring to a boil and skim off any foam. Partly cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 2 hours. If using smoked turkey wings or legs, add 9 cups of water, bring to a boil and skim off any foam. Partly cover with lid and simmer for one hour.
  3. Stir in the peas, partly cover the pot with the lid and simmer until the peas are tender. This will take about 20 minutes for fresh or frozen peas or as long as 1 1/2 hours for peas that were dried and soaked.
  4. While the beans cook, wash the mustard greens in several changes of water. Taste a leaf to be certain they are not gritty. Tear the greens into bite-size pieces and discard the tough middle stem. Alternately, pre-cut, bagged mustard greens can be used.
  5. Remove the hocks or wings to a platter and cool. Take the meat off the bone, chop and add to the pot. Discard any skin and connective tissue.
  6. Add the shredded mustard greens and tomatoes to the pot and simmer just until the greens are wilted, or about 10 minutes. Stir in the  salt, black pepper and green onions. Taste and adjust seasoning. Ladle into warm, shallow bowls and scatter a few celery leaves on top.

Pretty good stuff. Seen a guy selling the peas on side of the road and bought some. Never had Purple Hull Peas and found this recipe. Changed a few things, like I mentioned above, but overall it was a success. If anyone tries this recipe, I recommend something spicy to add because the Jalapenos are not noticable at the end. Next time I will be using something other than smoked hamhock. It almost overpowered the dish with the smokiness but my Wife didn't seem to think so. If any one has a Purple Hull Recipe, please share.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
That looks great, GS! I might have to try that with some chard once I start picking mine. 

Are purple hull peas a type of cowpea?
Yes, some call them cow peas. Taste like just another pea to me, but if your interested in the Purple hull variety let me know and I'll send you some.

Grass Snake said:
Yes, some call them cow peas. Taste like just another pea to me, but if your interested in the Purple hull variety let me know and I'll send you some.

Do you think they ship well? If so, we might be able to work something out. 

I don't know if frozen peas would ship well this time of year. I'll take a look in my grocery store and see if they have any. If not, I'll see about getting some seeds for a fall crop. Maybe I can sneak a crop in after my garden peas are done. I've never grown a cowpea or crowder before. Hell, I've never even eaten one (unless you count dry blackeyed peas). That recipe you posted sure is making me want to try them, though.  :drooling:
     I planted a lot of bush beans this year - maybe I'll let some of them mature beyond the snap bean stage and see if I can harvest some like a cowpea or lima and use them in your recipe. 
     Either way, thanks for that recipe. Now you've got my creative gardening and culinary juices flowing.  :cheers:

I just read that they're shade tolerant. As long as the plants can also tolerate powdery mildew, maybe I can plant some in the same row as my garden peas in a few weeks and hit the ground running. 

smokey ham hock love- inspired by this thread 
20160613_101022.jpg

:cheers:

Green eggs and ham ...

Homemade Natural Green Food Coloring

Ingredients:
2 handfuls spinach leaves
water

Directions:
1. Place spinach into a small saucepan. Add water so that the level of the water comes almost to the height of the spinach.
2. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes, until water has reduced to about half.
3. Carefully pour spinach and water into a blender and blend until completely smooth. Make sure your blender has a small hole to allow for the steam to escape if your blender does not have this, let spinach and water cool before blending.
4. Store in refrigerator.

Hahha ...

J/K ...

Back