• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Hot Pepper Safety

Hey guys! I'm a new hot sauce maker and I just had my first experience working with some Peach Ghost Scorpion peppers this past weekend.  After tear gassing my house and burning my face I have a couple questions:

What type of gloves do you guys use?  I used nitrile gloves and the oils still seeped through the material.  I touched my face afterwards and .....yikes! hot! 

Do any of you wear masks to protect against the spicy fumes?  If so what kind?

Finally, is there anyway to safely roast the peppers inside without killing my family and pets from fumes?

Thank you all for your input!

:welcome:

Great username.

Darling Nikki said:
Finally, is there anyway to safely roast the peppers inside without killing my family and pets from fumes?

Make sure to coat in oil when roasting, capsaicin is an oil that releases into the air but if you lightly coat the pepper in oil, this cap binds to the added oil.

the black nitrile gloves work for me, they are a bit thicker than the blue ones. 

yeah u can buy a respirator at home depot they aren't that much $, added bonus you look like a bit like a mad scientist. start measuring stuff in beakers and wear a lab coat and you're good to go.

Never had trouble with surgical grade nitrile.
Ventilation best with hood vent to the outdoors. Used to recirculate but then I cut the needed holes and hooked up to the existing vent cover out side. Angels sang the next day and all breathed easy.

Darling Nikki said:
Hey guys! I'm a new hot sauce maker and I just had my first experience working with some Peach Ghost Scorpion peppers this past weekend.  After tear gassing my house and burning my face I have a couple questions:

What type of gloves do you guys use?  I used nitrile gloves and the oils still seeped through the material.  I touched my face afterwards and .....yikes! hot! 

Do any of you wear masks to protect against the spicy fumes?  If so what kind?

Double glove love. I use an indoor smoker even when using  super hots. You can find it on amazon. Never had any issues with teargassing everyone. 

queequeg152 said:
You're kidding right?
juanitos said:

yeah u can buy a respirator at home depot they aren't that much $, added bonus you look like a bit like a mad scientist. start measuring stuff in beakers and wear a lab coat and you're good to go.
Mad scientist Darling Nikki at your service.  Pics to follow!

Welcome! Blue nitrile gloves & respirator (especially for cleanup or making powder) or see below. If possible, cooking outside or garage (propane burner, cooking stove) can save the family from fumigation. Sometimes I make sauce when no one is home. I open all the windows, bring in all the fans, and close off the rest of the house.

Trellchem_SUPER.jpg

Nitrile gloves are the best, but they do come in different thicknesses. Just to be aware of when ordering.

For the fumigation issue, give the rest of the family $20 and send them to the ice cream shop. :lol:

:welcome: and have fun!
SL

If you are cooking at home you'll want gloves of course and a respirator or something covering your nose/mouth.

If you have a window near your kitchen, what you can do is turn on your fan from the microwave on low or high, then buy one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008XET9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Put the fan in the window backwards so it blows air outwards, instead of inwards. This will create a good funnel from the stove to the window.

Works well for us. With ventilation we can cook everything without masks, besides our ghost pepper sauce.

Back