• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Rookie Grower Question - Chocolate Habanero pointing up?

Hey all,

Hope this is the right place for the post.    

I've got a plant I've grown from seed, about 60-70 days in right now... supposed to be a Jamaican hot chocolate habanero.    It's flowering and fruiting plenty, but all the peppers are skinny and pointing towards the sky.  Let me preface by saying I'm really new to growing, and my only other grow to date was some thai chilis, which looked exactly like this.    I'll grab a pic tomorrow.

Do habaneros typically start out skinny and pointing towards the sky, before they fill out and tip over?  Or am I growing something that isn't a Habanero?   I understand without pics it might be hard to tell... so maybe if anyone else has photos of a similar stage chocolate hab that might help?

Thanks in advance for any help!   Pics will come tomorrow.

Ok definitely not what it was sold to me as.  And yeah, I did buy these seeds off Amazon.   Obviously this was before becoming a member here!  

Here is the pic..

ZiUv8mF.jpg

Welcome to THP. And welcome to the world of pepper seeds purchased from ebay. Looks like a rooster spur pepper to me. Seeds are only as good as the source you get them from.

I'm curious... has ANYONE ever bought pepper seeds from Amazon or Ebay and actually had the correct genetics as sold to them?!

I truly don't think so....

Don't feel too badly Hotjohn, I dd the same with Amazon a while back; got Caribbean Red instead of Carolina Reaper (seems a lot of people had that same switch).

Hopefully what you have tastes better than what you wanted :)

Best of luck!!

mrgg*

Ok so yeah, Amazon seed sellers, not always the best... definitely realizing that now!   I bought several different seeds, from different vendors...    so the jamaican chocolate habs are definitely a bust.   I got some Bhut Jolokia seeds that came from China in some scary looking cartoon packaging .... not holding out hope for those...  Carolina Reaper seeds from a german place... that one is just getting to the flowering stage, and already looks a bit more legit.  Things are pointing DOWN.   

Appreciate all the comments everyone.  Realized this should probably have gone into the pepper id forum!   For my next few, I'll do just that!    

hotjohn said:
 I got some Bhut Jolokia seeds that came from China in some scary looking cartoon packaging .... not holding out hope for those...  Carolina Reaper seeds from a german place... that one is just getting to the flowering stage, and already looks a bit more legit.  Things are pointing DOWN.   

Actually, I think you have a better chance with the China seller than eBay/Amazon,,,,, ;)

mrgrowguy said:
I'm curious... has ANYONE ever bought pepper seeds from Amazon or Ebay and actually had the correct genetics as sold to them?!

I truly don't think so....

Don't feel too badly Hotjohn, I dd the same with Amazon a while back; got Caribbean Red instead of Carolina Reaper (seems a lot of people had that same switch).

Hopefully what you have tastes better than what you wanted :)

Best of luck!!

mrgg*

I heard so many bad things that I never had the guts to purchase from either source. I mean it takes so much time and energy to raise a plant from seed. That I figured why go through all the work, just to play pepper plant jeapordy.

mrgrowguy said:
I, of course, now buy 99% of my seeds from places reviewed by growers in this forum. Love that vendor section!
My first purchase of seeds ever was from the McDermott's over at Buckeye. I have only purchased from them, Puckerbutt, Pepper Lover and Mojo Pepper. And one set of seeds from Tyler Farms. I paid lots of money, but my seeds are first rate. And all are growing true.

Back