• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New genetic trait with this F2-seedling!?

Growing out the F2-generation of one of my crosses this year and something new to me has surfaced. This particular plant didn't meet my criteria, but luckily I didn't come around to ditch it before it showed its special flowers, which are new to me - the calyx is prolonged and reminds me a bit of eyelashes... I think I have seen somewhat similar with a wild species, but this is a annuum x annuum. Have you seen this before? - if yes, please post a variety name...

meinchoh said:
Bottom two pics look like you have some serious edema going on. Might want to ease up on the watering...
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I have continuously been overwatering and underwatering this one because it was in a very small pot and cooking in full sun on the window sill, it is now in a larger air pot, so hopefully I can control it better...

az1000 said:
Maybe your F1 cross crossed with something else to get this one
Isolated seeds were collected from glued and bagged flowers, so no. Also, I don't grow anything with this kind of flowers, do you?

Donnie said:
Isolated seeds were collected from glued and bagged flowers, so no. Also, I don't grow anything with this kind of flowers, do you?
If they were isolated I think this kind of flowers is a mutation
I don't have any flowers like this.

az1000 said:
If they were isolated I think this kind of flowers is a mutation
I don't have any flowers like this.
I think so, too - in that case it is interesting wether this trait is expressed in the next generation. But maybe someone has seen this before, I await more people to comment on this...
Lovepeppers said:
Very cool. Update us with more pictures as the pods mature.
Will do - because of the dominant genes from the parents I expect the pods to be slender, thin-walled and ripening from black to red, although I hope against all odds it will ripen yellow. :-)

That plant is beautiful! Can't wait to see the fruit. It goes without saying that you'll be saving seeds from this one, right?

jblo said:
That plant is beautiful! Can't wait to see the fruit. It goes without saying that you'll be saving seeds from this one, right?
I will if plant is self-compatible and has fertile pollen, I have experienced problems with a couple of my crosses, but they were both interspecific, so fingers crossed... If not, I will find a suitable pollen donor and look for this trait in future generations. I will also try to take cuttings and overwinter.

Back