• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Breathing problems while making sauce

So last week I made some sauce with like 20 super hot, 2 cup of vinegar ,1 lime and some honey... let me tell you its hot but taste good.

My problem is cooking the peppers... I just cant breath even with all the windows open.. I can't stop coughing , it burn inside my lungs and im grasping for air.

Do you have any tips on how to prevent this from happening. 

Thank you, 

Chuck

I think this is a common problem for a lot of people. Some resort to cooking outside on a propane burner. If you have a gas grill with one those side burners maybe try that. 

There's of course half face respirators but wearing one kind of sucks. 

Lid on the pot obviously would help but if you're trying to cook off water you need that evaporation. 

I agree but you can cook your pods down in a crock pot for 8 hours. I would say to take the crock pot out side before you open the crock pot lid. Then Blend your cooked pods and strain before going back inside. You can bottle inside. Burnt my lungs a few times!

I made some Reaper brittle one time and it ran me and the dog outside for an hour. I was glad my wife wasn't home, she gives me a hard enough time as it is. I second the idea of cooking down outside if you can, otherwise a vented hood helps if you have one. I've only had the problem with super super hots. Others I can manage. When my dad was living and staying with us I didn't risk cooking anything hot.

Peter S said:
I made some Reaper brittle one time and it ran me and the dog outside for an hour. I was glad my wife wasn't home, she gives me a hard enough time as it is. I second the idea of cooking down outside if you can, otherwise a vented hood helps if you have one. I've only had the problem with super super hots. Others I can manage. When my dad was living and staying with us I didn't risk cooking anything hot.

Dude I was going to ask for the recipe and I thought, hey maybe I can find it myself and not be a lazy POS - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/52135-hot-peanut-brittle-perfection/ - it looks great!

i made some powder yesterday in the garage. being about 100 inside the garage i had the fan on. even with the fan on i was still sweating, when i opened the grinder, the fan blow powder on my arm and stuck to the sweat. i washed my arm 3 times and it still burned for 2 hours after. wont do that again

Anything hotter than a ghost pepper and you may want to invest in a decent respirator mask. No amount of ventilation can really keep you from coughing, tearing up, and choking. That's some normal symptoms of making it - at least at home :)

haha, i used to make scorpion BBQ sauce in the restaurant i used to be a cook at. Had the entire kitchen choking and got a couple people pretty pissed. But man were they a big hit when all the staff tried em. :onfire:  the fumes are the worst when the dish guy would blast hot water on everything i used.

I use one of those portable electric burners and do it in my garage, the last time I did it in my house was the last time for a variety of reasons - number 1 was a pregnant wife in the house - that didn't go over so well.  :confused:

And it also made it hard to breathe and coughing was definitely a result.

FROG DOG said:
haha, i used to make scorpion BBQ sauce in the restaurant i used to be a cook at. Had the entire kitchen choking and got a couple people pretty pissed. But man were they a big hit when all the staff tried em. :onfire:  the fumes are the worst when the dish guy would blast hot water on everything i used.
Haha, just remembered my cooking last year! I survived the cooking, bottled the stuff and started cleaning. Hot water created fumes that were even deadlier than during the cooking. I cried a little over the sink, damn, my eyes!  :shh:

Back