• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Shorerider's BBQ Chicken.

Shorerider

Staff Member
Extreme Member
Preparation for dinner tonight started yesterday afternoon. I bought a whole large chicken, and four chicken Maryland pieces. 

I mixed up a rub with some guidance from GIP (thanks mate  :P ) butterflied the whole chicken, and applied a generous amount to all of the chicken. Then into the fridge for 24hrs.
20160618_115640.jpg

20160618_120835.jpg

Is this a sexy pose or what?
20160618_120958.jpg

Then onto my gas grill for around an hour. I added some hickory chips to a smoker box (see smoke right of pic) for a little smoke flavor. 
20160619_163754.jpg

Had a fat flare up hence some charing, but this was only superficial and actually didn't hinder the taste.
20160619_171700.jpg

Plated up with a cold Penne pasta, chunky fried chips/fries and a slaw style salad.
20160619_172604.jpg

Probably the best tasting chicken I've had to date, it was delicious.  :dance:

SR

Looks good! I have a question about that grate the chicken is on. In all of my years of grilling and or smoking I have never seen one like that. It looks like it elevates off of the main grill grate. Is there a reason or advantage to using this type of grill grate?

Thanks,

Mikes

Mikes said:
Looks good! I have a question about that grate the chicken is on. In all of my years of grilling and or smoking I have never seen one like that. It looks like it elevates off of the main grill grate. Is there a reason or advantage to using this type of grill grate?

Thanks,

Mikes

I'm going to chime in with a guess that it's to get the meat up into the stream of the smoke, like an offset ...

My gas grill is 1/2 grill and 1/2 Plancha, as you can see here. Pay particular attention to the map of Australia in onions.  :P
20150103_175007.jpg

I made the raised grill grate myself, mainly because I tried a few smokes using my gas grill first, before getting my ProQ smoker.

It serves a few purposes. To increase the actual "grill" surface by about a 1/4, as Grant has already mentioned it allows for "all over" smoke penetration, and it raises the meat further away from the gas burners giving less direct heat from below and a more even heat distribution. (I cook with the roasting hood on my grill closed.)

SR

Shorerider said:
My gas grill is 1/2 grill and 1/2 Plancha, as you can see here. Pay particular attention to the map of Australia in onions.  :P

I made the raised grill grate myself, mainly because I tried a few smokes using my gas grill first, before getting my ProQ smoker.

It serves a few purposes. To increase the actual "grill" surface by about a 1/4, as Grant has already mentioned it allows for "all over" smoke penetration, and it raises the meat further away from the gas burners giving less direct heat from below and a more even heat distribution. (I cook with the roasting hood on my grill closed.)

SR

Ingenious idea!

Back