• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hot/Sweet Peppers for North Texas Climate (8a)

All,  I am new to growing with only one under my belt.  I love spicy, but looking for different types of peppers to grow.  Jalapenos and habs flourished in my garden.  Looking for something in the middle from a spicy perspective, but maybe also a little sweet to go with it.  any ideas?  Thank you for the help!

:welcome: to THP! So, you want a pepper that is hotter than a Jalapeno but less hot than a Hab, and has a touch of sweetness to the flavor? It sounds to me like you are looking for a Baccatum.  :) There are plenty of great tasting Baccatums out there, so you might want to look at the different varieties to see if anything catches your interest. But for now I will recommend you consider the Aji Pineapple. It doesn't really taste like pineapple to me, but it does have a great fruity/citrusy flavor with some sweetness. The plants are also very productive. Well worth growing, IMO. Oh, you can find seeds here: https://www.whitehotpeppers.com/products/aji-pineapple-pepper-seeds and there are currently seedlings available here:http://store.myorganicseeds.com/Aji-Pineapple-Pepper-Plants-P2519856.aspx

Most of the Baccatum I've grown do quite well in hot weather.  My overwintered CAP267, Brazilian Starfish, Bishop's Hat and Rainforest plants are all loaded with pods, some already ripe.

Several of this year's plants - Aji Verde, Mango, Peruvian, Amarillo, Angelo, etc. - are big enough to be setting flowers, even in 110+ weather.  You really can't ask for more from any pepper plant. 

Pepperlover.com has a decent selection for little money.

Or, send me a few bucks to cover return postage, baggies, and my time, and I'll load you up with a dozen or so varieties, plus a few assorted stupid-hot and annuum strains.

Yes, Baccatums fits your requirements very good.

Also some Chinense Types have a "mid-heat-level": Habanero Sucatuba, Amazon Chile Roma, Peito de Moca (tastes very much like fruity gummy bears while riping from orange to red).

My Favorite Annum would maybe the best for you: "Joes Long Cayenne". It is sweet, nutty, has a pelasant heat level an a rich flavor profile.

The Aji's I am growing have been doing pretty well, if I can keep them dry.  Ive got sugar rush and pineapple right now.

If you are near DFW I live 20 minutes south of downtown.  come check em out.

Jigsaw said:
Piquin, tabasco, cayennes are all good producers and easy to grow
yes I was gonna say the same thing, I grow them and they are great easy to grow and great taste. the tobascos are good  ripe n red or even  then they are a really  light yellow. I put the yellow ones in white vinegar and eat em with chicken n rice or even eggs. the piquins are an amazing pepper I have purple and peruvian piquins I like to let them dry out n make flakes for my eggs in the morning. also  you may think of Serranos. all these aren't really  sweet but man they taste great. Good luck

Back