• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Death from Ripe Pods?

I have one doubt, that may be cleared in this forum. Some of my larger plants produced quite well and then just turned yellow and died. No amount of epsom salt and other care could save them. They just gave up and died. Coincidentally, on those plants, I left the pods on the plant until they were very ripe. Could this have been a factor in the plants dying?

It most certainly could in the fact the pods are essentially rotting on the vine as it where,As the pods wither they more likely to pass pests/disease`s and off course pass that through to the whole plant :)

Letting them go a little over ripe shouldn't kill the plant but pulling pods off just as they ripen will encourage more new growth and pods.

POTAWIE said:
Letting them go a little over ripe shouldn't kill the plant but pulling pods off just as they ripen will encourage more new growth and pods.

Yep pulled about 40 pods of my prairie fire and its grown back twice as many..Good advice :)

Back