• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Weird Aji Sugar Rush

Ive got 5 Aji Sugar Rush and 3 Aji Pineapple plants growing.

I got a few pods now on the Sugar Rush plants, one's been on for 2 months and just now ripe(i think).  The other plants have put out pods now too.  One plant puts out green pods(its got a second pod on it now thats green, just like the first start out), but the rest of the plants have put out almost white pods(which is more to be expected, maybe).  The first one was green until it started to ripen maybe a week ago(slowest ripening pod I have ever seen).

Im not sure whats up with the pods.

Anybody seen this?  Just a weird trait of the Aji?

ripe plus green pod

"white" pods

Your best bet in identifying what you have is likely to be obtained from the vendor who sold you the seeds. I'd suggest contacting them and providing them with the pics. They can both tell you what you likely have and also may make an adjustment, seeing that you did not entirely get what you ordered. 

That aside, know that "aji" is a word that means "chile" or "chile pepper" and generally refers to capsicum baccatum chiles grown in South America. All baccatums do not grow the same. Some start with upright pods that become pendant, while others start and stay pendant. There are likely some that start and stay upright, though I haven't grown any that do this. So you can't say that a growth habit or pod shape is a "trait of the aji", because that statement is much too broad. 

In the meantime, here's a link to a site that has a large database of chiles, many with pics. You might find that interesting while you waiting until the next business day to contact your seed vendor.

.... so I went to the website where you ordered your seeds. Even the sugar rush white are smooth-skinned, while the whites you have in your pic are bumpy-skinned. That might be as a result of your grow conditions, but either way I'd suggest you send photos of both to the vendor.

All the seeds came out of the same seed packet, so unless a weird seed fell into the packet, its hard for me to understand 1 out of 5 being a completely different breed of chili.  Just seems like dumb luck or dumb coincidence.

Everything has started out upright and then turned into a pendent type pod.  Its just the pod shape and color of this one plant is off from the rest of them.

Like you said could be a growing condition thing, but every one of these plants has grown in the exact same conditions.

I think I will email them the pictures as they are a very reliable and well liked vendor and I will see what they say.

I'm pretty sure Aji Sugar Rush was labeled (PL) which is their (untraditional and faint) way of saying the variety is bred by them and may not be fully stabile. In fact I have even bought stabile varieties from them that did not grow true. From their site:
"Some of the breeds are only one year old, others are 5 or more. Just like any new creation/breed variation tends to exist among generations and plants in the same generation. Therefore, if you are willing to experience our new breeds and open to the possibility of characteristics variations, you are welcome to try some of them. If you are just looking for a more stable and traditional variety please avoid the new varieties specially the ones that contain the letters (PL) representing PepperLovers breed"

Back