• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What is the Most Difficult Pepper to Grow...

Based upon what I have read on this forum, I assume that it is a Chinese variety. Could be wrong though. Is there a consensus as to what particular pepper is the most difficult or troublesome to grow (from seed)?

UMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

The hottest seem to be the hardest to sprout......after that, they grow like weeds.

My hardest was the Vietnamese peppers that grew so well last year!!! I overwintered the plant and it nearly died. It produced 8 pods this year and tried to die.

Sorry, I don't mean to poke fun, I have found that some varieties grow well in some climes, poorly in others, but on the whole, they are all about the same. No types to avoid. Trial and error will show you a stinker or two!

cheezydemon said:
UMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

The hottest seem to be the hardest to sprout......after that, they grow like weeds.

My hardest was the Vietnamese peppers that grew so well last year!!! I overwintered the plant and it nearly died. It produced 8 pods this year and tried to die.

Sorry, I don't mean to poke fun, I have found that some varieties grow well in some climes, poorly in others, but on the whole, they are all about the same. No types to avoid. Trial and error will show you a stinker or two!

So in your opinion, once germination is achieved, they are all the same with respect to growing? For example, If I can grow a productive cayenne plant in my area, I can just as easily grow say a Naga Morich? No?

Are the hardest???

Yes, germination is the hardest part.

Peppers straight from freaking trinidad in the middle of the Carribean did fine here, in the middle of kentucky.

Soil conditions and light make peppers hard to grow if they are poor.

Hardier peppers will do better in poor conditions, but it takes little expense to make your conditions good.....unless light is the problem and you have tons of trees!

There are no shade peppers.

Pubes are the hardest to grow for me. No luck at all. Hell, I don't think I could have killed any of the others if I had tried, but the pubes just wouldn't do anything. Not even going to bother next year.

915river said:
C.Lanceolatum,Tovari & C.Galapagoense from wild species

I have to agree with 915 the wilds are by far the most difficult to grow and another common chile is tepin which is such a slow developer it takes patience..Also c.flexuosum and c.parvifolium(if that is what it is) are difficult wilds to grow to :rolleyes:

Most wild varieties are harder to germinate. Also, Rocotos are a bit harder to germinate in my opinions. They grow into beautiful strong plants, but I have a lower germination rate as with others, incl. super hots.

Chiliac said:
Most wild varieties are harder to germinate. Also, Rocotos are a bit harder to germinate in my opinions. They grow into beautiful strong plants, but I have a lower germination rate as with others, incl. super hots.

Actually never had a problem with pubes..But it maybe i over water the soil and it softens the cases..But your right there harder casing makes them a lot harder than,annuums,chinese and Baccatums to grow..what pubes you growing Chiliac by the way? :rolleyes:

Fatali raves about them and Rocoto Bolivian which is supposed to grow crazy and has a really Unique taste Apparently..Just Germinated some Rocoto Largo San Isidro the hairs even on tiny plants are amazing :)

I only have the one pubescens species a mystery as to what it is, I really like them but they don't like our hot humid summers so will have to see how it goes.
DSCF1756.jpg

I've never really had a problem with germinating of any species but I've never grown the wild ones. C. pubescens have always been difficult for me to grow while C. chinenses seem for me to be the easiest.

Back