• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Does hot sauce get hotter or spicier over time

I've been making hot sauce for a number of years now but one thing I've been paying attention to is how the heat level changes over time.

After I'll make a fresh batch of hot sauce, I'll taste it right away and it will be a suuuuper hot. After a month of being in a bottle I'll try it again and it won't be nearly as hot. Sometimes I'll make one that isn't very hot but will later be a lot hotter over time.

Can anyone help me with this mystery? Do certain ingredients effect the hotness level? Temperatures of storage? Types of peppers?

The sauce can mellow or intensify depending on ingredients.

Example, a sauce with raw garlic (cooked in sauce from raw state) can intensify, and "infuse" the sauce as it ages, and other ingredients mellow. So really it all depends on the ingredients and how the sauce plays with them. There's all kinds of reactions and fusions going on.

What HP said but I also think that it becomes more homogeneous with time.  Right after cooking, a chunk of placenta might hit your tongue just right.  After it sits, the heat from the different extra hot bits disperses to the rest of the sauce. I make a fake meat taco filling that always tastes better the next day.  Some folk slow cook a stew for days to get that blended taste.  Heck, I can't stand tofu unless it sat in the sauce for a day or two.  Till then, it is mostly tastless.

Our fresh salsa definitely gets hotter over time.  It's tomatoes, onions, green peppers, spices, and the hotter ones have jalapeno and habanero.  I always hated taking salsa to the farmers market the next day after making it, because the Hot and Scorcher are never really Hot and Scorcher until day 2-3.  THe Scorcher, after sitting a week in the fridge DEFINITELY gets Scorcher!

I dunno why, it seemes like the capsaicin gets infused into all the vegetables so everythign gets hot. 

Not a clue as to why sauces get less hot~ 

Good Luck!  and if you figure it out, please post back.  :)
SL

Salsalady, that is not a bad thing.  It is an opportunity to inform and chat up a potential customer.  Not at market this year ( again ) but still at a ren fair.  Sometimes I cant think of a damn thing to say and just sit there looking all hot and sweaty.  Not all that good for sales.  Now an excuse to chat someone up, then I get on a roll and things sell.

Back