• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Palms, bananas and other exotics

Nobody in my neighborhood has a palm tree.  That's probably because I live in Indiana, zone 5b.  

It all started this year when I found a 'hardy' banana tree at a local greenhouse.  The tag just says "hardy banana" so I'm guessing it is a musa basjoo.  I liked it so much that I scooped up four more.     

0CACFC69-A245-4C21-96E9-B33DCB6C96FB_zps2xiqskcg.jpg

Intrigued, I searched for hardy tropicals, and ended up with a responsibly sourced needle palm, rhapidophyllum hystrix.  FYI, the needles hurt!  

NeedlePalm_zpscpogrxaa.jpg

6C61F58E-3640-4017-A9C2-C305B0DFF836_zpsv9kydbdc.jpg

I'm looking to add more to my collection.  Next will probably be:
Windmill 
Sabal minor
Pindo 

I fully expect this to be an uphill battle.  

Is anyone else trying to grow exotic looking plants in places that they arguably don't belong?  I'd love to see some pictures or hear about lessons learned.  

Yes! This is awesome. I live in Maryland 7b and we only get "tropical" weather starting in mid June to the middle of September. I started a lemon tree from a seed last summer, grew it outdoors and overwintered it inside and the plant absolutely thrives in the summer time! It's currently kept in a 5 gallon pot, and I just prune the roots and the foliage. I'm hoping to dwarf my tree and graft a lisbon lemon variety onto it in a few more years.

I also have an avocado tree that I started from a pit, I have a pitaya (dragonfruit) cactus that I started from seed many months ago, I've started papayas, pineapple crowns, various citrus, I'm germinating lychees, etc etc.

I love exotics! and peppers  ;)  (although I personally don't eat hot peppers, my family does)

But, as long as you keep your tropics in containers, keep up with the pruning and provide great lighting and warmth during the winter time, the tropics really take off. Apparently citrus does very well in containers when pruned properly, fertilized and watered properly. It can work!!

Back