spirits Cher-rye Wheat

Father in law had a ton of fresh cherries this summer so I wanted to put them to use. I've already half smashed and frozen the cherries so they'll be ready for the secondary.

Recipe later.

Mash is in and have about 20 mins to go.

Actuall mashing at 149. I moved the probe taking the pic and the temp changed lol.

This is also the first batch of beer I'm adjusting my water for. I used half distilled water and had to add 2.5ml of lactic acid so my ph will be correct. I'm excited to see how this will effect my numbers. I have been traditionally low on my paler beers and I'm pretty sure my mash was the culprit.

Cool.

95e7d7c0-0587-0132-7034-0add9426c766.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjyZKfdwlng

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Many many years ago I used to love that Sam Adams version, in the 90's
Funny you say that. I tried one the other day. I had it a long time ago and they were hit and miss. But I thought the one I just had was pretty good. I don't know if I would want to drink a few consecutively. Little too much cherry sweet/sourness. That's why I'm adding a little orange peel to mine. Hoping the citrus will balance it out.
tctenten said:
Hope this one turns out well. Sounds like a nice beer.
Me too. First time using rye too. So I'm curious to see how it turns out. I'm hoping the spicyness of the rye will meld with the other flavors to balance everything out. Just a 3gal batch for now to test it out.

The Cher-rye wheat looks to be terminal now. Going to CO2 purge a secondary vessel and add the cherries tomorrow if everything goes well. It looks to have a beautiful color from what I can tell in the carboy.

Transferred to secondary. Finished at 1.007 making the ABV right above 5%.

Ended up with only .75lb of cherries instead of 1 because they spilled out of the bag lol. I didn't want to mess with sanitizing them.
The sample taste pretty good. Pretty citrusy between the Sorachi hops and the sweet orange peel. Can't wait to taste the cherries in there.

Cool color. Next time you have it disassembled...can you take a picture of your siphon system. I bent a piece of racking cane and use a rubber stopper, but Yours looks more heavy duty.

Er ma Gawd. This is like, really good. I was worried the cherry would be too sour. But it's just how I like it. The flaked rye is a welcome flavor in there too. The smell of it with the cherries is awesome.

Can't wait to taste the naturally carbed bottles in 2 weeks. I'll chalk this one up as a success for now. The rye and cherry aroma also has a cinnamon fragrance to it.
I'll post the recipe as soon as I get around to it. Might have to keep this one a secret ;)

All I did was put a dishwasher valve connector on there with a little piece of 3/8 tubing bent down to the bottom of the bucket. Then I set the other side of the bucket up so all the beer will go to the pipe. I get all but about 5ozs sucked up like that.

I'll pull it out and take a pic of it in the next day or so.

Back