• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

video Hybrid Flowers - Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion

I've seen the same flowers today on one of my chilis. It's from unknown seeds I got on e-bay (supposed to be trinidad scorpions). I picked some pods just to try growing them, because the taste was good and there were enough pods on it to try growing it again. I'll try to make a few photos. Haven't really checked if all flowers are affected, I've seen two or three with unbelievably large baby pod that resembled the large beefsteak tomatoes. The pod had like six sections. Interesting :)

PS: This season, we have a mix of weather that is preventing my chillies from flowering properly. I have yet to see a real pod. Those baby pod flowers are closest thing to a pod at the moment. :)

Tarzan said:
I've seen the same flowers today on one of my chilis. It's from unknown seeds I got on e-bay (supposed to be trinidad scorpions). I picked some pods just to try growing them, because the taste was good and there were enough pods on it to try growing it again. I'll try to make a few photos. Haven't really checked if all flowers are affected, I've seen two or three with unbelievably large baby pod that resembled the large beefsteak tomatoes. The pod had like six sections. Interesting :)

PS: This season, we have a mix of weather that is preventing my chillies from flowering properly. I have yet to see a real pod. Those baby pod flowers are closest thing to a pod at the moment. :)
Tarzan,

Thank you very much for your post. Yes you have right. some baby pods looks like beefsteak tomatoes :-)

I look forward to your photos.

I've checked today, not all of the flowers look that way, which means it's just a normal looking chilli. The pods are growing fast and look like little rectangles now. Have no idea what variety I have. The stem is extremely hairy though.

Tarzan said:
I've checked today, not all of the flowers look that way, which means it's just a normal looking chilli. The pods are growing fast and look like little rectangles now. Have no idea what variety I have. The stem is extremely hairy though.
Stem is hairy though?? Is it Pubescenc?

Completely unknown variety. Found some seeds and planted them. Each and every seedling ended up different. I've mixed my own seeds with ebay bought seeds from a couple of years ago that were supposed to be Trinidad moruga scorps. they were everything except scorpions. :)

Here are a couple of photos.
When I wanted to check the flowers if they are enlarged like yours, they are not, I made these. And today I have snapped a photo of a few days old pods.

img20160706071254.jpg

img20160706140934.jpg

img20160708101724.jpg

You can see the fuzzy stems and leaves. Who knows what the pods will look like. Anyway, it's racing.

Tarzan said:
Completely unknown variety. Found some seeds and planted them. Each and every seedling ended up different. I've mixed my own seeds with ebay bought seeds from a couple of years ago that were supposed to be Trinidad moruga scorps. they were everything except scorpions. :)

Here are a couple of photos.
When I wanted to check the flowers if they are enlarged like yours, they are not, I made these. And today I have snapped a photo of a few days old pods.

img20160706071254.jpg

img20160706140934.jpg

img20160708101724.jpg

You can see the fuzzy stems and leaves. Who knows what the pods will look like. Anyway, it's racing.

Definitely It is Capsicum Chinensis but which variety ?? The pods on the picture don't look as scorpion. You must wait for ripen pods :-)

I know it's not scorp. I knew that last year. and I have found out I've received a whole bunch of non related seeds, all marked as stingy trinidads. I mistakenly mixed seeds I've saved from a plant I planted the first year with the remaining seeds. I have been growing all kinds of peppers, but none of them resembled the scorpion and I'm quite sure the one I'm asking about is some kind of hybrid. 

I've planted them far apart last year, so they are 99.9% self pollinated. :)

Here's a topic about the ID. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/61087-help-needed-with-chilli-id/
There are some pics of pods from last year published, this year they seem to be the same, but they might have rougher texture.

Back