• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Is this a buth jolokia?

Hi there, I need help to confirm if this is a buth jolokia.
Thanks

ps: I can post other photos from the same pepper if needed.

1302622.jpg

could be a bhut jolokia, naga morich, bih jolokia, naga jolikia (chinense),or dorset naga...what is the scale...and what is the heat like, where did the pod come from, if you grew it where did the seeds come from...

and by the way...welcome to the hot pepper from Fort Worth, Texas

looks like a bhut.... but it could also be as AJ stated any of the above..

but i'm pretty sure its a bhut...

stick the entire thing into your mouth and chew it for 10 ten seconds...if your mouth doesnt fall off or your head doesnt explode its not a bhut...lol

P.S

Welcome to a really great chili forum !

enjoy !

Hi, I've been searching pics of those you mencioned and I narrowed the possibilities to buth ou naga jolokia, because of the size and shape. Either way I was only hoping to confirm if it was one of those two. Just one more question...this was a recent picked pepper, already put the seeds in betweenin a paper coffee filter to dry , how much time I'll have to wait until plant them? I was thinking something like the end of march. Thanks for your help and for the welcomes, I'll be posting in the future(:

luispereira said:
Hi, I've been searching pics of those you mencioned and I narrowed the possibilities to buth ou naga jolokia, because of the size and shape. Either way I was only hoping to confirm if it was one of those two. Just one more question...this was a recent picked pepper, already put the seeds in betweenin a paper coffee filter to dry , how much time I'll have to wait until plant them? I was thinking something like the end of march. Thanks for your help and for the welcomes, I'll be posting in the future(:

well you could get started earlier then that.. germinate them in dec-jan... let them grow into healthy little plants indoors within that time.. and by march depending on the weather in Portugal ( anything over 20 degrees Celcius in days and anything over 10 at night ) start hardening them off for the outdoors..

;)

No problem luispereira are it was pickled and you had the seeds from the pickled Bhutt you have a small chance that they'll germinate, the pickling in vinegar or brine can stop the seeds from germinating because of the process involved,You can dry the seeds then keep in a airtight container till next season and theres a small chance they'll Germinate..Better ask someone here nearer the time and they'll send you some seed..Lots growing bhutts or bih Jolokia here including me..

Welcome theres another person here from Portugal Called Whocares she would always help..Just watch for next time shes on ;):)

Talas, picked...not pickled;)
The weather is great here, ok, I'll plant them by jan, it makes sense eheh...
Here in Portugal we have a kind of chili called piri-piri, I think it came from mexico, it's a smaller version of tabasco, like little bullets, very hot too.. I'll post a photo of mine when I get the chance.
thanks

That pepper looks like a Bhut/Bih (same basic thing) Jolokia, it looks a little different than a Naga Morich or Dorset, because I found that the Nagas are very pimpled but don't really have the deep wrinkles like the Bhuts, but that's just what I found in the one's that I have grown. Also, once the pepper turns red you can take the seeds out,dry them, put them away till next season or plant them right away.:)

I've pickled my liver with lots of good quality alcohol but i still can't see it being very tasty:lol:

But anyway, It looks like a Bhut/Bih but that's like saying a Dolphin looks like a fish cause it's in the water.....

It really could be any one of about 5 varieties. Even a pic of the plant would make is hard to tell but might help...

Size and shape are relative to the area, climate and also the nutrients the plant gets!!

We can grow orange habs here in Australia that has the colder area forum users thinking we have worked out a way to directly inject the plant with steroids.....

EDIT: welcome from Australia mate. Hope you enjoy your stay...

luispereira said:
Talas, picked...not pickled;)
The weather is great here, ok, I'll plant them by jan, it makes sense eheh...
Here in Portugal we have a kind of chili called piri-piri, I think it came from mexico, it's a smaller version of tabasco, like little bullets, very hot too.. I'll post a photo of mine when I get the chance.
thanks

It was late and i was as pickled as A.J liver :lol:

Back