• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Is this Vietnamese Coriander or a weed?

This is popping up in and around my garden.  At first, I thought it was a weed, but it looked familiar and the growth pattern more resembled an herb rather than a weed.  I have grown Vietnamese Coriander before and it looks almost exactly like this, EXCEPT, these lack some blotches of color that the Coriander had.  I tasted a few leaves.  It had no taste at all.  It didn't have the normal grassy taste of a weed, nor did it  have any flavor at all. 

So, is this some crappy, bland, overwintered, Vietnamese Coriander, or is it a weed?

Kv8faLT.jpg

BKfBTRH.jpg

BKfBTRH.jpg

I don't know what you have there, let it mature a bit more? It seems mature enough to have some taste at least. Even if it is an herb, if it has no taste, pull it!

That's vietnamese coriander allright, or thai basil as we call it here.
Just bite a tip of the leaves to comfirm, but i'm pretty sure thats the real deal, I had it in my garden last year :)

edit: I just properly read what you said in the OP. If it has a grassy taste it's probably just another weed... My vietnamese coriander also had black dots on the leaves.

fertilizer said:
That's vietnamese coriander allright, or thai basil as we call it here.
Just bite a tip of the leaves to comfirm, but i'm pretty sure thats the real deal, I had it in my garden last year :)

edit: I just properly read what you said in the OP. If it has a grassy taste it's probably just another weed... My vietnamese coriander also had black dots on the leaves.

It didn't have any taste at all, but fearing for my health, I only took a tiny bite and chewed very briefly.  A poster in a different forum thinks this is Polygonum.  Since Polygonum is edible, I can safely put a number of leaves in my mouth for a better taste test. Polygonum is also allegedly spicy (cool!).  I'm away from the family garden now, but should have an opportunity to taste some in a week and a half and will report the results here.

I've grown VC before and it does look like it a bit by leaf shape, but it tends to get leggy pretty quickly. You can tell by rubbing the leaves as well since it gives off a citrusy kind of scent.

I went all out and thoroughly chewed and swallowed a few leaves.  Whatever the **** it is, it literally has no taste at all.  It didn't have any herb like flavor, nor did it have any green grass, weedy taste.  I dug it all up and tossed it.

Thai basil has a very distinct taste and smell. You would know it in an instant just from the anise smell. Ive never heard of Thai basil being called Vietnamese coriander before.

Back