• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My babies have PEPPERS!!!!!!

Yes! Sometimes I just love growing stuff in Hollywood, CA! My new hatchlings already have peppers!
newpepper1.jpg

Rainbow Chili (with an Unknown Red to it's right)

newpepper2.jpg

Unknown Red pepper(Sorry for the crappy shot, I saw it when I downloaded it and didn't feel like going out and taking another shot...the pepper's right between my fingers)...turns out all my Unknown Red's and Oranges have baby peppers growing.

I have a couple of big rocotos on an over-wintered plant
and hope to get some early pods from the other plants that I over-wintered.
Kinda got the planting itch.
ML

Firstly, I'm a complete plant/pepper growing newb. So I'm curious about something.

When I ordered my plants from chilieplants.com, I made sure to read their instructions. One thing they stressed, was if your seedlings/small plants start to get buds or fruit, you should remove them. This would cause the plants to grow bigger, and in turn would promote more peppers in the future. So my question, will you let your little plants to continue to grow those peppers? Just curious what your approach will be.

I never let my plants produce when thier that small. Double that maybe. You want the plant to put forth it's effort and grow a bit before it starts producing. When the peppers emerge on a plant that small, all it's energy goes to producing peppers and it grows "extra" slow.

Don't have to live in California to have chiles during the winter, but it helps to have a heated greenhouse......

Capsicum annuum longum...a cayenne

longum.jpg

willard3 said:
Don't have to live in California to have chiles during the winter, but it helps to have a heated greenhouse......
See, that's just cheating :P (nice peppers!).

As for clipping the peppers, those most of those plants were planted in November, so they are big enough to let go(I believe). But I also have sooooo many peppers and clipping them all would take too large of a chunk of time.

Back