• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Thai Reds. Once and done?

My Thai reds were the first to flower, first to set fruit, and first to ripe pods. The plants made tons of peppers.

But that was it. They never flowered again after the plant was totally covered with pods. The plants are still vibrant and
healthy, but it pretty much looks like once the remaining pods ripen and get harvested I might as well dispose of the plants
because they are all done.

My naga's and habs continue to flower constantly and produce new pods all the time.

Is this "once and done" behavior normal for Thai Reds?

I just had this happen with my Jalapenos and Asain Birdseyes. I'm thinking it's a defecency in the magnesium area and just sprayed with a water/epsom salt solution.

Mine don't behave like that at all, so it's probably not normal. I've noticed that some plants seem to take a short break after the first wave of pods before they start flowering again.

If you can cut it back & save it over winter you might find they start to adapt - I have some here that put out continuously ...but not until it was 3 yrs old.
Spring started 5 days ago & I've got around 30 ripe pods on one plant & its been in the shade of a citrus tree all winter....maybe I should send you seed from that one.

yeah i like them nice clean sharp heat. pods are thin walled tho & a lot of seed so not great for sauce - good sliced up fresh on a sandwich. Billyboy didn't think much of them though so personal taste.

Back