• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone grow yellow fatillis last season or growing them this year ?

Yellow fatalli IMO is one of the best tasting hotter peppers.     They're also productive.

I think they have been given less attention recently due to the craze over crosses, but very worth it for sauce making and general use.  

I don't have seeds right now but they should be easy to obtain.

moruga welder said:
curious if anyone has or hd grown the yellow fatilli ,  Hows their heat and flavor ? looking to grow some next grow , will trade . TKS. 

I'll check and see if I have some seeds when I get off work, I'm pretty sure I do.

I have been growing them for a few years. They will vary considerably depending on the source. Some are the perfect tasting type, some have a soapy after taste. Some are hotter and some are less hot. They are about as hot as a regular habanero. When you get the right one +1 on what was said before, they are some if the best tasting hot peppers. Tom

They  was hot, much hotter than I expected honestly. Taste wise, meh, I couldn't tell what all the hype was about. They was just ok. I could barely  tell a  difference between them and the bonda ma jacques.  

I probably wont grow yellow fatalii again. I haven't had red so I can't judge those.   

I am growing peach or cream fatalii this year because I had heard they was milder and more flavorful  

Was one of my first plants to grow. Very prolific. I know there is a few members growing them this year. Can't recall off the top of my head. I liked it. May grow it again next year. If I get some seeds, I'll let you know. I'm about to make a list and order from Hippy Seed Company, Jim Duffy and a couple others.

I grew them last year. Heat seemed to be around chocolate hab level, but with a more aggressive burn.  Flavor was alright, a typical yellow chinense fruity taste, but nothing special IMO. I didn't taste any of the citrus notes that people talk about for this pepper. The flavor and the burn were both very similar to a yellow Devil's Tongue to me. I decided not to grow the Yellow Fatalii again this year. Instead I chose the Yellow Scotch Bonnet, Yellow 7 Pot, Yellow CARDI Scorpion and Yellow Brainstrain for my yellow chinenses. To me, these are all more flavorful than the Yellow Fatalii.

I already traded or gave away almost all of my left over seeds for Yellow Fatalii, but Judy has them for $2 if you don't get a trade here.

I grew the yellow fatalii last year.

Its a good pepper, but "Yellow 7Pod" has a very similar taste and much more intensity.

The heat is nearly the same, but the "7Pod" tastes way better.

cycadjungle said:
I have been growing them for a few years. They will vary considerably depending on the source. Some are the perfect tasting type, some have a soapy after taste. Some are hotter and some are less hot. They are about as hot as a regular habanero. When you get the right one +1 on what was said before, they are some if the best tasting hot peppers. Tom

Ditto to this, except for me the heat and especially the burn is much more intense than a habanero. They can be very tasty (depending on source) and are very prolific. I do prefer some other yellows better though, such as the yellow 7, yellow SB7J, and MOA SB.

Zackorz said:
I grew the yellow fatalii last year.

Its a good pepper, but "Yellow 7Pod" has a very similar taste and much more intensity.

The heat is nearly the same, but the "7Pod" tastes way better.
I grew them both and the taste was not the same.
I like them both.

I grew the red fatalli last year. I hated it. I also grew yellow devils tongue last year. I absolutely loved it. Good heat but not overwhelming with good flavor without the chemically chinese taste that the fatalli had. I overwintered my devils tongue now ive got a huge very productive 2 year old plant.

rlslmshdy said:
I grew the red fatalli last year. I hated it. I also grew yellow devils tongue last year. I absolutely loved it. Good heat but not overwhelming with good flavor without the chemically chinese taste that the fatalli had. I overwintered my devils tongue now ive got a huge very productive 2 year old plant.

For myself i made the expericene, that yellow chinenses tastes way better fresh than red ones.  We you make powder out of them, it changes to the opposite. The powder from red chinenses was always much more flavourful for me.
az1000 said:
I grew them both and the taste was not the same.
I like them both.
Your right, they doesnt taste the same, but for me they hadnt too much difference. "7Pod" Flavour was stronger and more citrus-like than fatalii.

But everyone has a different taste :-)

I grew yellow fatalii last year. Very nice compact plant with lots of chillis but I hated the taste of it as it tastes much like habanero...

chiltepin said:
Drop me a PM.  I can hook you up with some seeds.

how is it powdered ? i appreciate the offer my friend , my internet is down for another week , i'm in town at my oldest daughters house .  i tried to inbox you but its full .  

moruga welder said:

how is it powdered ? i appreciate the offer my friend , my internet is down for another week , i'm in town at my oldest daughters house .  i tried to inbox you but its full .  

I got some yellow fatalii powder I could send you shortly. If you don't mind waiting for some more pods to ripen. I'll send you a few of the crosses to try as well. 

D3monic said:

I got some yellow fatalii powder I could send you shortly. If you don't mind waiting for some more pods to ripen. I'll send you a few of the crosses to try as well. 

that would be cool of you , i still have no internet and at my daughters in town using hers .  bu!!sh!t !

Back