• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Newbie needs help - first time ferment

Hi, I'm a fan of hot sauce and recently thought to take the plunge with fermenting as it seemed like an interesting process to experiment with; i tried 2 different processes to see which works out.

I made up 2 batches yesterday and i fear they are both inactive; both are made using chillis bought from the produce markets from a commercial grower and I'm concerned the chillis have been processed to remove bacteria.

both batches in a jar with an airlock on top

batch 1 process is in brine.

360g chillis. - mix of orange habanero and green jalapeno chopped up
8 gram salt made into a brine with filtered water
3 cloves
2 star anise
2 tea spoons of mustard seed

batch 2 process is a mash made in a food processor

600g Jalapenos (green)
400g Habanero
250g onion
150g garlic
40 gram salt

all placed in a blender and blitzed.

I'm in Brisbane, Australia and it is currently winter, but it only gets down to 10c (50F) and up to 22c (71F) during the day.

How long should i wait to see activity?
If not active, can I add something to kick them along? 
Can i save it and just make some sort of cooked sauce.
do i toss the lot and start again, maybe with some starter?

tried to upload photos but couldn't find a way to upload   (total newbie) so link to Google images

https://goo.gl/photos/9AcVFR2eNuo7Gxvm7

thanks for your help. 

DeeMonDaze

DeeMonDaze said:
Hi, I'm a fan of hot sauce and recently thought to take the plunge with fermenting as it seemed like an interesting process to experiment with; i tried 2 different processes to see which works out.

I made up 2 batches yesterday and i fear they are both inactive; both are made using chillis bought from the produce markets from a commercial grower and I'm concerned the chillis have been processed to remove bacteria.

both batches in a jar with an airlock on top

batch 1 process is in brine.

360g chillis. - mix of orange habanero and green jalapeno chopped up
8 gram salt made into a brine with filtered water
3 cloves
2 star anise
2 tea spoons of mustard seed

batch 2 process is a mash made in a food processor

600g Jalapenos (green)
400g Habanero
250g onion
150g garlic
40 gram salt

all placed in a blender and blitzed.

I'm in Brisbane, Australia and it is currently winter, but it only gets down to 10c (50F) and up to 22c (71F) during the day.

How long should i wait to see activity?
If not active, can I add something to kick them along? 
Can i save it and just make some sort of cooked sauce.
do i toss the lot and start again, maybe with some starter?

tried to upload photos but couldn't find a way to upload   (total newbie) so link to Google images

https://goo.gl/photos/9AcVFR2eNuo7Gxvm7

thanks for your help. 

DeeMonDaze
Looks good give it time but next time cut your peppers smaller I grind mine for all mashes. Gives more surface area for the fermentation process to access. Your setup looks great. You can expect to wait anywhere from 24 hours to a week plus. Please don't open ferments this defeats the whole process and destroys the anaerobic environment by letting in oxygen. Good for breeding nasties. Bad for a safe ferment. I usually let mine run anywhere from 45 to 90 days minimum. Have some now over 13 months.

Check for ph below 4.0 for final processing

Starters not necessary I use
IMG_20151007_123640.jpg
but not every time lots of the fermentation Crew go completely natural. No starters.

Just be patient the process takes time just sit back and enjoy the ride! :)

Hope this helps my friend. CHEERS

thanks for the advice Oldsalty

I'll let them sit in the cupboard and check them twice a day and see what happens. hope to see some action in a week or so

I'm still deciding what to do once/if fermented, both will be mashed further; then possibly split each batch and do 1 vinegar and 1 cooked down and see how they taste. It's all just an experiment. it's all just an experiment for now and seeing how the process works and how different methods create tastes.

for PH testing, can i just use an aquarium test kit?? or should I buy a cheapish probe-type device as I'll be doing more in the future

DeeMonDaze said:
thanks for the advice Oldsalty

I'll let them sit in the cupboard and check them twice a day and see what happens. hope to see some action in a week or so

I'm still deciding what to do once/if fermented, both will be mashed further; then possibly split each batch and do 1 vinegar and 1 cooked down and see how they taste. It's all just an experiment. it's all just an experiment for now and seeing how the process works and how different methods create tastes.

for PH testing, can i just use an aquarium test kit?? or should I buy a cheapish probe-type device as I'll be doing more in the future

My pleasure my friend! :)
Yeah definitely invest in a ph meter plenty cheap ones on Amazon. Really great tool and I'm sure you'll love fermenting.
We all started out experimenting trying different methods have you checked out fermenting 101 brother RocketMan has done a great job of listing the basics for the beginner.

I used his info and other members like JamesN to get down my go-to method. I'm a big fan of using wine in my brine never had a bad ferment.

Just remember have fun and ask all the questions you would like. That's why we're here my friend!!
CHEERS mate

woohoo we have bubbles!  :party:

the chopped batch in brine is bubbling nicely

the mashed batch has some air bubbles forming in the mash which is a good sign

so everything seems to be active.

if you are doing a wild ferment using yeast from the air you need to leave mash in jar with only a few layers cheesecloth covering it for a couple few days. Once you start to see activity that is when you apply an airlock lid. If you are using a starter then you can cover straight away. good Luck!!

Hahaha ALRIGHT DeeMonDaze!!! :) the mash is most likely rolling pretty well just harder to see. Great job my friend!! Just keep them closed and check every now and then.
FROG DOG said:
if you are doing a wild ferment using yeast from the air you need to leave mash in jar with only a few layers cheesecloth covering it for a couple few days. Once you start to see activity that is when you apply an airlock lid. If you are using a starter then you can cover straight away. good Luck!!
Great advice Frog Dog never tried that method. When doing a natural I've always covered with airlock immediately. Thought enough bacteria in the existing mash and jar itself. Does this method promote quicker results? Haven't had any issues except some slower starting ferments.
Cheers

So my larger chopped ferment breached the airlock so I've decided to cook it up and bottle. needed some sauce anyway as most store bought stuff has run out.

did 2 versions from the batch

cooked to 180F then strained through a seive to get approx 250ml
cooked the 250ml and bottled.
tasted very good and has some depth.... then my taste buds gave up once the heat kicked and melted my face.
happy with it, will let it sit in the fridge and try it tomorrow morning on some avocado
Got 1 x 250ml bottle

cooked rest of pulp added 250ml lime juice, 150ml apple cider vinegar, 1 cup boiling water and 3/4 cup brown sugar (think vinegar was a mistake)
pressed through sieve 
cooked and bottled
Nice deep sweet taste at the start with some tart adn then heat at the end. sauice was still hot from cooking so will see how it goes in the morning.

photo link below

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMzqsbc27ze4zDp4tfdEkjYxElEyZAfBtLmIYdfhtslW0OaE8M8x0wBWcHrT8RYWQ?key=Rjlodi1id3JwblA1ek43aldzN0czaEtlSHA1ZkNB

thanks to this forum I think i went okay for first go. onto my next batch in a few weeks

Back