• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Plants wilting during the day during extreme heat

Any one else experiencing this as well. I've noticed my plants usually recover fine at night but is there anything you guys and gals would recommend to kinda fight this off some what's so they don't look so damn pitiful during the day. My habanero plants are thriving without any issues thankfully as are my super hots.

Normal occurrence here -- as long as they are recovering in the evening they'll be fine - plants will droop like that to conserve water loss since less area means less evaporation from the surface of the leaves. You can do things to try and lessen it (ie. cooling the temp either by watering or adding shade etc.) as the more it happens the more stress the plant is undergoing and it can effect overall growth/production but as long as the have some water in the soil they should be fine even if you don't do anything.

My bell pepper is the only one that wilts on me... every single day, no matter how much I water it. It perks up some when I turn the misters on it for a few hours, but it's really taking a beating from the heat. And I've had more peppers with sun scald this year than any previous year.

Another thing you can try is to put straw or wood shavings on top of your soil, they will hold in more moisture

My plants in the ground are great. It's just some of my peppers I have in pots that have an attitude haha. The one pot that is a 22 in. Pot has 4 peppers in it (two cherry picked, one thick walled cyanne, and one cherry bomb). That pot I'm sure just needs some water later. All are coexisting perfectly thankfully. One thing I am thankful for is the non existence of flower and pod drop. Haven't had the problem thank goodness.

IMO, wilting is only 'sorta' harmless.  It does stress the plants and slows their growth.

Containers or ground?  If containers, are they big enough to hold enough soil and moisture to sustain the foliage?  Wilting should cause the plants to grow more root mass, but if they're root-bound... 

Black plastic pots are death in the summer.  Even if the extra solar heat doesn't cook the roots, it will evaporate water that the plant could have used.

Are they located against a hot wall or other source of reflected heat?

As suggested, watering well in the AM can help, as will even a little shade..

Geonerd said:
IMO, wilting is only 'sorta' harmless.  It does stress the plants and slows their growth.

Containers or ground?  If containers, are they big enough to hold enough soil and moisture to sustain the foliage?  Wilting should cause the plants to grow more root mass, but if they're root-bound... 

Black plastic pots are death in the summer.  Even if the extra solar heat doesn't cook the roots, it will evaporate water that the plant could have used.

Are they located against a hot wall or other source of reflected heat?

As suggested, watering well in the AM can help, as will even a little shade.

IMO, wilting is sorta harmless, but does stress the plants and slow their growth.
Wilting is actually better for the plants than people think. The reason being is because when the plants begin to wilt the roots expand in search of water.

The ones that wilt are in light green 17 inch to 22 inch pots. They are on my large patio and not near a wall. Just game them some fert and water and they perked back up in about 15 minutes and already started perking up as soon as the sun set off of them. I'll just keep an eye one them. On a positive note I did find my first flower on my reaper today haha.

Shade cloth and I have  poly drip system on a Rainbird timer delivering a thirty minute drink every 8 hours with two of the watering during the sun light hours and this has done really well for me.

Pepperhead1989 said:
The ones that wilt are in light green 17 inch to 22 inch pots. They are on my large patio and not near a wall. Just game them some fert and water and they perked back up in about 15 minutes and already started perking up as soon as the sun set off of them. I'll just keep an eye one them. On a positive note I did find my first flower on my reaper today haha.

At least yours get a break fairly early if they are recovering that quickly after the sun sets -- Here we stay in the high 80's until after midnight and then by 9am. are back in the 90's so they get about 4-6 hours where it drops to the mid 80's - high 70's to recover

Here's our 10 day forecast

Capture_zpsoraghgk9.jpg

We're getting a bit of a break today with some thunderstorms dropping the temp right now down to 97 :dance:

Yea man. It's in the mid 90's here with high humidity all week. But the plants seems to recover fast as soon as the sun has set thankfully. Doesn't seem to be the temperature that bothers them but more so the direct sunlight and heat at same time when its 100 here with 85% humidity and no rain.

im in big raised beds, 40% shade cloth, etc... and the plants(supers) still wilt during the day and recover at night.  My 18 month old reapers that are 4' tall do not wilt, but they have a crazy root system.  All 8 of my 7 month old(small) plants(4 BOC and 4 Jays Peach) wilt down during the day as their root structure and size is 1/5 as big as my reapers.  Growth seems to have slowed tremendously, but I am guessing they are growing a deep root structure.

I tried watering half way through the day, but it didnt seem to do anything but waste water.

Now my Aji and Bell's do not wilt and are thriving in the heat actually.

Wow, lots of great help from everyone and FAST!  

I have the same problem with the few potted plants I have.  They are not happy in the midday sun either.  I give them a little water if I can, but I should move them to the shady (North) side of my house.  Good luck!

My raised bed plants do not have this problem.  

My self watering buckets are by far the best performers of all my pots for wilt and growth. I got black pots, I got fabric pots, I got tall pots and short ones....The home depot self water buckets are blowing them all away. Everyone has talked about the shade cloth and I couldn't agree more and couldn't grow anything without it. Couple weeks back was 110.5, freakin hot. I use a black 50-60% shade cloth now. Looking up, the sun is BLINDING but walking on the concrete is comfortable bare foot. It cuts the laser beam hotness dramatically while still providing tons-o-sun. But the pots, they make a big difference and I think the reason is two fold, one, they're not black and two, they are insulated because they are doubled up. Now you don't have to fill the reservoir and use them as a self watering, you can water from the top. But when thing get crazy hot, I fill up the reservoir...When things get mellow, I don't and top water. The plants in them are almost double the size of their counter parts. Next year? All self watering pots. Here's how to make um https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWkg5ttOm5I

Back