• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Grower's Initials

This event took place this year.  Not giving the who of it cause it doesn't matter.  This way, we can have a drama free conversation about it.

Developer XX created 'Pepper Whatever' and sent the pods out for review, sale, and consumption.  It was very likely not stable and Developer XX said as much.  Grower YY saved the seeds and grew it the next season  Then Grower YY sold the seeds and respectfully called the pepper Whatever XX.  Including the developer's initials was a sign of respect.

However, Developer XX did not feel the pepper was ready for release.  Developer XX contacted Grower YY and said please do not use my initials.  Grower YY said OK and I am sorry and I was trying to show respect.  Developer XX and Grower YY continue to enjoy a positive relationship.

So here is the boggle.  If Grower YY puts his initials behind the thing, it could come off as pompous since he did not develop it. But what other method is there to denote the source of the dna, even if it is not the ultimate source?  Makes me go hmmmmmm....

Figure you'd have a few choices :

1. Don't sell the seed in keeping with Developer XX's wishes since he feels it is not ready for sale.

2. Continue to sell it but just sell it as 'Pepper Whatever' instead of 'Pepper Whatever XX' and list in the description that it is an early possibly unstable variety from a 'Pepper Whatever' plant grown from seeds received from developerXX and may not be Stable (that way buyers know it might not be ready for release just like you did when you received the seed from developerXX .)

3. Just sell it as 'Pepper Whatever' and don't mention where or who the original seed that grew it came from or the lineage of the seed. (since it is seed from 'Pepper Whatever' it is a 'Pepper Whatever')

Which choice you make would probably depend on the exact circumstances and what DeveloperXX specifically had to add to the decision ( ie. did he merely say please don't use my initials and was fine with the seed being offered for sale or did he really prefer to not have the seed offered for sale, since he was working on the variety for later release as 'Pepper WhateverXX' himself when he felt it was stable and ready to market with his initials.)

Back