• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Feeding Hot Peppers, How Little or How Often

Ok people I want to hear how often you are feeding your Chinense's. I have been feeding mine quite often. Although I am seeing some deficiencies, probably because of the heat 90+ and they are in full sun, no shade cloth. The sun seems to be really zapping my plants right now. How often are you feeding your peppers? I know some people on here do not like to share their specific feed/feeding schedule and that's fine. You do not have to divulge all your growing secrets, just the basics.

Having the same problem here as it has been around a heat index of 112 and a few times up to 116 for the past week here with high humidity. Ive had to move some of my pots so they dont get as much sun. All of my plants in the ground are actually not too affected. As for feeding/watering I have actually had to water everything quite well as they droop by the end of the day with watering and use of calmag. So as of now doing calmag with every feed on some plants from them getting zapped as they prop back up way quicker than my plants I dont use it on.

Ya mine are in heavy production right now. Getting a steady dose of calmag but still showing some yellowing and curling on some plants. I have had a few bug issues as they love to feed on peppers. But have rectified that issue with some fogger.

SvtCobra said:
   Ya mine are in heavy production right now. Getting a steady dose of calmag but still showing some yellowing and curling on some plants. I have had a few bug issues as they love to feed on peppers. But have rectified that issue with some fogger.
I was having a slight beetle issue but it mitigated itself. Also I introduced a baby praying mantis a few days back and that helps as well.

Im no expert on the matter but its a good idea to give your plants the basics that quality ferts contain. Heres are some examples... Nitrogen, Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Potassium,Copper,Zinc etc. Consider these to be the makeup of the plants main diet. I feed my plants with Texas Tomato fertilizer which offers a fair amount of these and I feed them once or twice a month with it. I also use straight water to flush of the excess nutes and salts that the plant doesnt intake or need. Inbetween the watering and feedings with the Texas Tomato I feed the plants with some kelp and epsom salt as well as Alaskan fish fert (which should'nt burn.) I also intend on making some teas, which will help the plants explode with growth. The key, is to give the plants a bit of everything but not to much at once, and flushing with water inbetween feedings will help to regulate the plants intake diet as I mentioned above. Hope this makes sense and will help you.

megahot said:
Im no expert on the matter but its a good idea to give your plants the basics that quality ferts contain. Heres are some examples... Nitrogen, Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Potassium,Copper,Zinc etc. Consider these to be the makeup of the plants main diet. I feed my plants with Texas Tomato fertilizer which offers a fair amount of these and I feed them once or twice a month with it. I also use straight water to flush of the excess nutes and salts that the plant doesnt intake or need. Inbetween the watering and feedings with the Texas Tomato I feed the plants with some kelp and epsom salt as well as Alaskan fish fert (which should'nt burn.) I also intend on making some teas, which will help the plants explode with growth. The key, is to give the plants a bit of everything but not to much at once, and flushing with water inbetween feedings will help to regulate the plants intake diet as I mentioned above. Hope this makes sense and will help you.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

moruga welder said:
are they in containers or garden ?      :onfire:
   We are talking containers. 5 gallon to be exact. I know some of my hard givings are due to aphids and mites.

megahot said:
   That's a good plan/ feeding schedule.

SvtCobra said:
You really don't want to feed a steady diet of Calcium or Magnesium - and especially not both together.

Honestly, you might be better off with a compost top dress. (preferrably worm castings) Give a little liquid seaweed once in awhile. Save that CalMag for about once a month, or when you know you have a deficiency.

solid7 said:
You really don't want to feed a steady diet of Calcium or Magnesium - and especially not both together.

Honestly, you might be better off with a compost top dress. (preferrably worm castings) Give a little liquid seaweed once in awhile. Save that CalMag for about once a month, or when you know you have a deficiency.
   True. But I am giving my plants pure R.O water at 3ppm. So my water contains nothing where people feeding regular house water get trace minerals every time they water. R.O water must be adjusted

I understand, but just be careful. It's better to have traces present at all times than a steady dosing. If you lock out calcium, you'll be flushing, and then you'll have to get everything else back on track. You have a little longer growing season than most, but setbacks are a bitch...

Pepperhead1989 said:
I was having a slight beetle issue but it mitigated itself. Also I introduced a baby praying mantis a few days back and that helps as well.

Watch it, they get big fast!

SonOfGodzilla%2B%252879%2529.png

Back