• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Chile. Chilly. Chili.

I am making a pot of my Gramma's CHILI. She was from Mexico. But I think she spelled it Chile. Which is wrong. But she only had a 4th grade education. She was homeschooled by my Grampa's mother who was a hooker in Puebla (if memory serves... I'm drunk). 

So here we are.

How do you spell Chile?

Chiles: [peppers that make life tolerable]
DSCN2354.jpg

Chili: [a bowl of chiles, meat and tomatoes, slow cooked in a pot that makes life tolerable]
DSCN2355 (1).jpg

Chilly: [the reason for a bowl of Chili to make life tolerable when it's chilly]
IMG_0207.jpg

Then there's my CJ.

Chile Juju.

I love the hell outta this one...
DSCN2326.jpg

A finished pot, on the way.....

Why is the glass that the Chile Goddess is holding not full to the brim?  You SLACKER!!!!  Ok, so you guys are down at the river, just about to go home to make more drinks....alright...ya get a pass on that one this one time...

Wait a MINUTE!  Are you making Chile Chili now?  Or just DP some random stuff with pics of that barn....
where strange things....
occurred with hogleg.....

OH! and if you want some AAAY-pricots.... we have an epic tree popping out NOW!  come and get it~ 

Wow. I have never heard of Puya chiles! I can't really see the shape but they look similar to the Pasilla Ancho. The description of "fruity" does not describe the Ancho tho. Let me know how they taste. Some folks like Rick Bayless likes to rehydrate his dried chiles then puree them. I prefer to toast them in the oven at 210º for about 15 minutes, just until that wonderful aroma fills the kitchen, then I powder them in my spice grinder. I always feel like you're losing some of the flavor when you rehydrate them unless you use 100% of the rehydration liquid. I've seen Rick Bayless drain the liquid down the sink.  :shame:

Here are the chiles that went into my Chili.
(The heat scale is 1-5 ★ and is not on the super hot spectrum. Habanero being ★★★★★)
A. Chilhuacle Negro from Stickman that he grew and dried ★
B. Habanero ★★★★★
C. Pasilla Ancho ★
D. Chile New Mexico ★★★
E. Chile California ★
F. Chile Guajillo ★★
G. Red Peter (I always stick a Peter in my chili LOL) ★★★★

DSCN2354.jpg

DSCN2354 (1).jpg

Scoville DeVille said:
I am making a pot of my Gramma's CHILI. She was from Mexico. But I think she spelled it Chile. Which is wrong. But she only had a 4th grade education. She was homeschooled by my Grampa's mother who was a hooker in Puebla (if memory serves... I'm drunk). 

WTF was that all about? :drunk: So wrong. She wasn't homeschooled by my gramps mom. And they were from Jalisco (region). Holy hell.
Chile Juju said:
AND I got an Extreme Kitchen Makeover!!!!
The knobs come off the stove honey. And sponge mops work good on the ceiling too. :rofl:

I always do this a little different but the results are always similar... AWESOME. I started with a 5 lb Pork Butt and seared each side in hot garlic oil. When the oil got hot I seared the white onion (in two halves) and six whole garlic cloves until they were bubbly on the outside and raw on the inside. Set the pork roast aside. Once the chiles are toasted in the oven, start grinding them into powder. A whole can of Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce went into the mini food processor and made a puree out of it. Into the Pressure cooker goes one large can of crushed tomatoes,  ⅓ of the chile powder, 3 whole (fresh) garlic cloves, 5 TBS chipotle puree and the cubed pork (about 1" cubes). Set the pressure cooker on high (15 psi) for 20 minutes. Don't forget the bone!!!

While that's getting all cooked up, dice the charred onion and press the charred garlic into a large pot. Ad some cans of crushed and stewed tomatoes, 6 fresh Jalapeños, remaining chile powder, and salt. Drink some tequila while all of this is happening. Nothing better than freshly ground Cumin!

To be continued...

DSCN2350.jpg

DSCN2351.jpg

DSCN2352.jpg

DSCN2355 (2).jpg

DSCN2356.jpg

DSCN2358.jpg

DSCN2359.jpg

DSCN2362.jpg

DSCN2366.jpg

DSCN2368.jpg

DSCN2370.jpg

Scoville DeVille said:
I am making a pot of my Gramma's CHILI. She was from Mexico. But I think she spelled it Chile. Which is wrong.

LOL. Dude it's right. In Mexico chile is the pepper and the meal, I've had a bowl of green chile. :)

Same as here, chili is the pepper and the meal. The only reason people use different spellings is to differentiate pepper from meal but they mix languages in doing so.

Great post! You do Mex right.

Back