• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Need Help with Cherry Tomatoes

I got me those two pots with what seems cherry tomatoes. The plants are very short and dense and bushy. Some red tomatoes are actually hidden inside the dense bush of leaves.

My question is do I need to repot them?

They are still in the same container I got them from the garden store, but the containers seem awfully small. When I repot them, will they grow taller/bigger? How long will the plants last and fruit? We don't have frost here. Right now I have them in the greenhouse under LED, I could put them outside into full sun too but the sun is very extreme here since I am in Southern Spain so I am a little hesitant there.

ct.JPG

those are cool !  don't know what strain they are , ay suppose to be short and bushy . as savina said might want to save some seeds   .  i
got some tomato seeds from ALVARO ( here on T.H.P.  he also is from Spain , but these plants are huge  ,thick ,  plants with 1 pounder tomatoes    :onfire:  

I'd pot up with with a good mix and find or create some shade space outside. Dont know how much longer your season is but I think their worth as much as you can give them. Can I put some of those seeds on retainer for a trade. Interesting mater.

They actually look like a better boy bush. I have some that look the exact same and the fruit typically will get anywhere from a lacrosse ball size to a little under the size of a tennis ball.

Brilliant idea with the seeds! I will definitely save them and then plant some more from seed! (When I have the seeds I would without a heartbeat send some to whoever wants some..there is just a problem, Spanish mail is insanely expensive. But I can look into that)

Yes I am pretty sure they are root bound, didn't exactly check but I can feel it. So I guess I will repot.

Thinking about it, some of them are definitely bigger than the normal "cherry tomatoes" you find in the supermarket. In the garden store where I got them (€1.30 a pot :) it only said "tomate" on the label.

i believe what you have are actually dwarf tomato plants, they don't get much larger, so if you need the space leave them in their containers.

just do a google on dwarf tomato, you will find a plethora of images.

you can grow toms in a fantastically small container, uut only with very frequent waterings, and alot of attention to fertilizer management.

fwiw, thats a very pretty tomato plant with lots of color. ive never seen such a thing before, but ive never really looked beyond indeterminates tbh.

I repotted now into Hydro (Hempy Buckets) anyway since I want to keep my greenhouse soil free. Even if there's a chance they won't grow any larger.  I also started to save some seeds, had to learn about this. Will see how it goes. Those tomatoes taste awesome, very aromatic and tangy

Ok I saved some seeds from the first batch I made, didn't think they'd germinate but they are sprouting now!
Right now I don't even know whether the plant(s) I have are "determinate" or "indeterminate". Anyway excitingly looking forward to plant my fist tomatoes.
(I just recently extended my grow light and growing area, but with 17+ plants now in my greenhouse it's getting always tight. I might even try to plant some of the tomatoes upstairs. Problem is just, my cats think pots are excellent s***boxes...and they keep digging and breaking branches...sigh...so my GH mainly serves "cat protection" purposes :)

My other goal is...to plant some GIANT pepper tree upstairs and grow some sort of giant, 12' monster pepper plant :)

In the meantime ...

I saved and fermented seeds, I even planted some and they are actually growing.

Unfortunately, my tomatoes are affected by SOME nasty disease which is likely some fungal disease. The two older plants (in the picture) are basically pretty much dead and most of the leaves wilted. But also two seedlings are affected. You can actually see those bright, beige spots in the old picture if you look very closely. (It's not dark spots like the XYZ blight diseases I looked up, but starts out very bright, almost white spots....and necrosis on the leaves. Powdery mildew perhaps?? It's weird since my peppers don't have any problems right now)

I already did lots of research on tomato diseases, but not 100% sure, but everything speaks for a fungal infection.

What I did now, made a bleach solution and sprayed them since I found on forums that foliar spraying with bleach can be very effective against various types of fungus. If this doesn't work, then it must be some virus or bacterium.

Also...since I put the two plants into my semi-hydro and feed them my usual nutrients, the new fruits all turned out VERY tiny. Think currant size or something, 1/4th-1/2 of an inch max. So basically, once I picked the nice, larger ones as I got the plants from the store, most other fruits are so tiny it's basically pointless.

Well, I spray them all with bleach now and will see how they will be doing...

-- As for tomatoville: I signed up there over a month ago but my acc never got activated. I even emailed the admin to activate my account. I just logged in and it's still not active.

Back