• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Labor Problem With Subway

My 16-year old grand daughter got her first job with Subway. Here's the problem...

The manager has the kids arrive 15 minutes early before clocking in.  That is not the big problem.  Today, my grand daughter secretly texted her grand mother notifying her that the kids were told not to clock in today, yet, since it wasn't busy,  Oh yeah, the kids were still put to work cleaning, and waiting on some customers.  On some days, my grand daughter has been sent home when she arrived for work, because "they were slow" that day.  I think these Subway shi* holes are independently owned, so I can't call corporate.  If I called the manager, I imagine she would lie her way out of it.  Maybe some kids would get canned for snitching...I don't know.  There's always the Labor Board.  Right now, I'm livid, and just looking for ideas other than walking in with a 2x4...  My goal is to obviously put a stop to this sh*t, and hopefully, get the manager canned.  How should I handle this situation?

labor board be your best bet, if you contact the manager they could start working on their cover story and start hiding things. My work makes us come in 15mins early as well. But I get a hour paid lunch so i'm not going to complain about it. 

slightly off topic but not really, is it a indian running the subway? That's usually what runs subways around here. They are notoriously shiesty  

D3monic said:
labor board be your best bet, if you contact the manager they could start working on their cover story and start hiding things. My work makes us come in 15mins early as well. But I get a hour paid lunch so i'm not going to complain about it. 
slightly off topic but not really, is it a indian running the subway? That's usually what runs subways around here. They are notoriously shiesty
Not Indian. White.

I've run restaurants before. If he's have them work off the clock that illegal. Sending them home early when slow is not. Sucks but not illegal. You can call the labor board and file a complaint.

Best bet is to talk to the labor board -- since the labor laws vary in different states and what is or is not acceptable varies - ie. in some states you still get paid for 2 hours if you are scheduled and show up and they cancel your shift. (So usually the employers will send someone else home early that has already worked the minimum length shift and make you work the 2 hours since you have to be paid anyway ! )

As for the showing up early most employers ask for this but do not make you start working early without clocking in - since they want you to be there and actually ready to work at your scheduled time not running in the door and getting ready at the scheduled time so that is understandable but if they start you working early they should allow clocking in when you start - I don't think any state allows working off the clock.

Roguejim said:
My 16-year old grand daughter got her first job with Subway. Here's the problem...

The manager has the kids arrive 15 minutes early before clocking in.  That is not the big problem.  Today, my grand daughter secretly texted her grand mother notifying her that the kids were told not to clock in today, yet, since it wasn't busy,  Oh yeah, the kids were still put to work cleaning, and waiting on some customers.  On some days, my grand daughter has been sent home when she arrived for work, because "they were slow" that day.  I think these Subway shi* holes are independently owned, so I can't call corporate.  If I called the manager, I imagine she would lie her way out of it.  Maybe some kids would get canned for snitching...I don't know.  There's always the Labor Board.  Right now, I'm livid, and just looking for ideas other than walking in with a 2x4...  My goal is to obviously put a stop to this sh*t, and hopefully, get the manager canned.  How should I handle this situation?
Independently owned maybe, but they still have to follow corporate guidelines and state labor laws. The reflection of their store policies and public opinion affect the corporation as a whole and any district or regional management would be very interested in these violations. Contact Subway corporate and get the contact info for your areas district and regional management team.

CAPCOM said:
Independently owned maybe, but they still have to follow corporate guidelines and state labor laws. The reflection of their store policies and public opinion affect the corporation as a whole and any district or regional management would be very interested in these violations. Contact Subway corporate and get the contact info for your areas district and regional management team.
Thanks. I was unaware they had a "corporate" headquarters.

Franchised retail fast food has more loopholes then garbage ingredients of/in their food
So yes,if you plan to advance against them do so patently
If Corp. see's a glitch they will bail ASAP,much like they would if attacked directly.
The kid gets all the blow back and left without a job.
Support the kid,help them hold the focus "to work" regardless of the fall out.
My $.0¼ would be to bail once another employer is secured and let'em eat dust!

Work Ethic is a very strange disease in 2016

Another option is to let her sort it out. A learnable moment for a teenager entering adulthood. I know we've all had our own moments with society that taught us what we know today as seasoned adults. I know going in there with a 2 X 4 sounds fun but in reality it's an entry level job with very little risk to your teenage grand daughter. She will learn what she will learn through this so when the day comes that she has car payments and a mortgage, she will have the tools to succeed because of what she is learning now. Fighting her battles for her may not be beneficial to her in the long run. Maybe guide her through this but ultimately let/make her decide and act for herself.

My 2¢

The over whelming fact of the population being morally brain dead supports the popularity of Pokemon
There is no "drive" instilled in todays younger youth
My daughter of 32yrs proves my position at every turn,she has literally fought hard against a system dead set on dumbing her down since she graduated college.
College,High School do not teach self defense against the "system"
If your gonna fight let them see an Army of one
Leave it to "Life Skills 101" and she will get her ass kicked and spirit broken

Roguejim said:

subways are strange , my grandson worked there , said they don't drug test either . if they aren't clocking in then i would tell her to come home , working and not clocked in , sounds like some child labor law stuff .   :onfire:

whats the problem with telling someone to go home? i mean... unless you sign a contract stipulating minimum hours and such, i dont see what the problem is with that.

the same shit happens to construction worked all the time. OSB shipment is delayed? roofers dont work that day. its not unreasonable imo.

far as working off the clock... i think the sooner somebody learns to stand up for them selves and weigh the consequences thereof...the better off they will be.

Was one of my first tax paying jobs at 13. Wasnt bad. The owner was cool. He would try to keep good workers by offering to pay cash for a new car of their choice. Then you would have to pay it off. No interest, no deadline, no minimum payment. He was a franchise owner and would give raises as well. Was a fair owner.

Not a bad gig for someone who didn't have any credit or family money for a car.

Some are franchise and some are not. Sounds like a management issue. Labor board will sort it out. Especially with underage workers.

Good luck

Back