• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Sulphur what!!!

I just tried a new technique on a ferment and had a sulphur smell coming off the jars after a few days. I usually cover wild ferments with cheesecloth for a few days to start the fermentation but i was going to experiment with putting the lid on as soon as the mash is poured into the jars. Loose lid of course so gas can escape but oxygen can't get in. I read up on the sulphur and read that it is normal for some types of yeast to let off a sulphur like smell and that it is safe. I'm going cook my sauce and see if that sulphur goes away or is in the final product which would go straight to the trash. Experiment went well in the terms of the fermenting because it bubbled within 24 hours and kept going strong till the end. :cool:

fwiw. hobby wine people run into the same issue.

i dont know the details... but the fermentation results in stink smells.

they add somethign to mitigate thiis issue. i do not know the details, sorry... but it might be worth looking into.

cooked it with all its ingredients and the sulphur smell disappeared, thank god because it was 8 pounds of peppers. If you are experimenting guys.....do it in small batches!! hehehe :party:

Back