• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Chocolate Hellfire Hot Sauce

Thought I'd post a recipe and pics of the process.  I have been making this sauce for a few years with habaneros.  Habaneros weren't doing it for me anymore so I switched to superhots.  You can substitute whatever peppers you like to meet your desired level of heat.  What I love about this recipe is that the spices and roasted peppers give it a ton of flavor, so it's not just heat.  It really tastes good.

Peppers for this batch were a chocolate blend, purchased from Sicman.  They included chocolate ghost, moruga, douglah and bhutlah.

Here's a link to the recipe at allrecipes.com

Ingredients 
  • Orange Habaneros: about 25 (can substitute other peppers)
  • Garlic: 5-6 medium-sized cloves
  • Organic Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar: 1/2 cup
  • Distilled Water: 1/2 cup
  • Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice: 1/4 cup
  • Salt: 1 teaspoon
  • Smoked Paprika: 1 teaspoon
  • Chili Powder: 1/2 teaspoon
  • Sugar: 1 teaspoon
Directions

1. Wash habaneros and peel garlic
  2. Line cast iron pan with aluminum foil. Get outdoor grill hot (gas or charcoal both work fine). Place peppers and garlic in pan and coat with vegetable oil. Grill until skin starts to loosen and darken, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
  3. Remove from grill and allow to cool just enough so you can touch them. Put on latex gloves and remove stems from peppers.
  4. Place grilled peppers and garlic in blender, add all other ingredients and blend on highest setting for 5 minutes.
  5. To adjust thickness, add equal parts water and vinegar and blend until desired consistency.
-----------------------------
Peppers from Sicman
H5jdMBe.jpg

All ingredients
KqRCaQi.jpg

Cook outside unless you want the mace experience in your house

GQ0fDPL.jpg

Cook until soft and just starting to char a tiny bit.  Don't want to burn them.

776lH6J.jpg

MPCsJSt.jpg

Remove stems.  Leave seeds if you're a real man.  Put everything in the blender and blend it on highest setting about 5 minutes. 

2HrH9Wk.jpg

Check consistency.  If you want it thinner add equal parts vinegar and water. 

eE50aaQ.jpg

I doubled the recipe and added an additional 1/4c water and 1/4c vinegar to get it to the consistency I like.  Yield was 32 oz.

gIgYU4n.jpg

Sauce is delicious and wicked hot.  The peppers were great--I'd highly recommend buying peppers from Sicman.  

It's in the fridge.  What do you think the life is storing it in the fridge?  I am not set up for proper canning but maybe I need to be.  I've used sauces up to 9-10 months out of the fridge without noticing any funky taste, but I have wondered about the life span of fresh lime juice.

xhasti said:
It's in the fridge.  What do you think the life is storing it in the fridge?  I am not set up for proper canning but maybe I need to be.  I've used sauces up to 9-10 months out of the fridge without noticing any funky taste, but I have wondered about the life span of fresh lime juice.
There are a few folks here with a little better knowedge on that type of thing than me. But if you check out the hot sauce 101 thread, you'll see that if you have a low enough ph and a consistency inline with woozy bottles, canning isn't quite necessary. The hot fill/hold method seems to be pretty popular and effective if done correctly. No water bath or pressure canner needed.

Back