• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My first ripe lemon drop

From chileplants.

I cant believe how fast these turn color once it starts. It had just a tiny bit of yellow 2-3 days ago. Another one that is almost completely yellow today only had a tiny yellow spot yesterday.

LemonDrop3_zpspxoxxxiy.jpg

LemonDrop1_zpsdbud2fa9.jpg

Ive only eaten one that was green. Heat was more than a upper end serrano but not by a huge amount. Other than clean tasting i cant really say much about a green one. The citrus notes are likely not as pronounced until they are ripe. There are a bunch of green ones on one plant and a ok amount on the other. I might have another yellow one tomorrow.

I probably won't try a yellow one until at least tomorrow when i can share them with my brother and father.

I ate 2 today with some chips and very mild salsa. Ate them like you would a peperoncini on the side taking bites like you would...with say....a pizza. Not mixed in the salsa.

Sweet
Juicy for such a small pepper
Hint of citrus but not tart
Heat at the upper end of a serrano
Mouth is warm but only the tip on the tongue has a substantial tingle. Lips have a slight tingle but nothing painful.
Almost no burn in the back of the throat.

Highly recommend eating them fresh. VERY enjoyable!!!

Aji Lemon Drops were the first hot peppers I grew. They, along with some Black Hungarians I grew that same year, were what got me to THP and into this cool(pun always intended) hobby. Thank you very much Aji Lemon Drop!

They really are a delicious and very useful pepper.

Lemon drop never fails to produce pods, even when the season is not that good. One of my stable ones in the growing list and very usable in every dish you can imagine. In my country, they even put lemon drop to a lemon ice cream. :P

I have one in a pot and one in the ground. Both are next to each other. The one in the pot was producing more but now its about even. Lots of pods on both and still quite a few blooms. Had a lot of rain lately and slightly cooler weather too. Gave all the peppers some epsom salt water about a week ago.

Ive gotten 2 more ripe lemon drops so the total is up to 4. Its a bit aggravating to say the least considering ive had more turn ripe or start to turn from all my other plants. One of my serranos now has a bunch turning red at the same time. My orange hab is up to over 15 ripe now. Pretty much everyday i spot another one starting to turn.

Kinda strange since the first one to produce a ripe pod was the lemon drop.

Lemon Drops are slow the ripen.  If your plant is large and healthy you ill be very happy with the final results.
Those first few ripe lemon drops are like the trickled from a crack in the dam.  Soon the break will come and you'll be flooded with pods!  

Enjoy the adventure!

Its just aggravating because of the early ones and that its the peppers i wanted most. They are basically impossible to find even at specialty markets. Ive found them once but the supplier for the market quit growing them. After getting a couple that turned early i thought i was on a roll. :D Both plants are loaded with green pods. Im leaving the one yellow pepepr on the plant this time just for luck It seemed to work for the orange habs. :P

The red cowhorns have been super tasty. Even the green ones were good. I just pickled a jar of Lombardos with a red cowhorn added for a little zip. Heading out to check on my serranos now. There were about half a dozen or more turning red. Im really looking forward to a red serrano hot sauce.

Seraano_zpsrokljay0.jpg

Found another one on the other plant.
LD1_zps3dt92ak4.jpg

About another half dozen ripe orange habs. This plant has been a beast. The other 2 i planted in the ground have done very poorly.
HAB1_zpsxdagtmzg.jpg

Im sure its just the timing but after leaving a ripe one on each plant i now have at least 6 ripe and several more with a little yellow spot on them. A couple of them are the largest peppers on the plants.

Lately we have gotten some cooler weather, lots of rain and more overcast days. My orange hab has a lot of ripe pods (12+) and many more turning but no more new blooms. The lemon drops and my other peppers are continuing to produce new blooms though.

Patience has paid off. The cooler nights are helping i think. I got 60 grams today and about 150 grams in the freezer. This was just from 2 plants this morning.
LemonDrop00003_zpskdtzgj3g.jpg

There you go.  Beautiful peppers!

Back