• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

in-ground Planting in ground

hey guys so some of my plants are in different sized pots and i don't want to spend the money on new pots and soil to repot them to bigger ones.. is planting them in the ground an option at the moment? Also how do you go about planting them in the ground? thanks.

zgnAD1i.jpg

juanitos said:
they look just fine where they are especially with your short Canadian season.
i only have 3 of the plants in bigger sized pots though and the smaller pots aren't growing big.. the roots are coming through the bottom of the bigger pots as well.

FullersFire said:
i only have 3 of the plants in bigger sized pots though and the smaller pots aren't growing big.. the roots are coming through the bottom of the bigger pots as well.

I agree with juanitos, too late to transfer plants to soil. An alternate is to dig a hole big enough to put pot in and allow the roots to grow into soil.

I see some really informed folk saying leave them the way they are.  Thought, that doesn't sound right. Looked up Canadian frost dates.  Yes, they are informed and I had no clue your season was that short.  I have to tip my hat. Canadian pepper growers must have some serious motivation going on to grow such long season plants in a short season climate.

FullersFire
I'm not to far from you,in Buffalo and I was wondering when you started your seeds?

I had one Ghost,well I think it was a Ghost that was really doing bad, to the point I thought it was dead and wasn't going to mix more potting mix for it.So I just planted it with my wife's Jalapeno and Peppinos and it doesn't look like much but it's growing great in the soil. I think next year I'm going to put them directly into the ground.... Just a thought from a newbie
U

Great looking plants!!!!!!!!

NZgX3uE.jpg

8VcPIb4.jpg

Depends on where you're at in Ontario. If you're in Windsor, you have a 6A or 6B like we do around Detroit. Windsor's first frost comes in around Oct 27, while London and Toronto are two weeks earlier. If you're in Southern Ont, I wouldn't see a problem with transplanting; especially if you think you have more to get out of your plants. You'd still have around 2 months of growth/harvesting. Any farther north than the Golden Crescent, and I would leave them be where they are; and plan when you're going to transplant next year.

Canes1 said:
FullersFire
I'm not to far from you,in Buffalo and I was wondering when you started your seeds?
I had one Ghost,well I think it was a Ghost that was really doing bad, to the point I thought it was dead and wasn't going to mix more potting mix for it.So I just planted it with my wife's Jalapeno and Peppinos and it doesn't look like much but it's growing great in the soil. I think next year I'm going to put them directly into the ground.... Just a thought from a newbie
U
Great looking plants!!!!!!!!
NZgX3uE.jpg
8VcPIb4.jpg
Thanks I started early and started them indoors
Thanks for the replies I'll keep them in pots and hopefully they still do well, next year I'll probably transplant them into larger pots earlier in the season

maybe just place your pots on a patch of bare soil and let those roots dig in and soak up some water and goodies from the soil.

Back