• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

How to smoke salt?

Well, how did it turn out? I was waiting for someone to chime in but it hasn't been too active today. I know I've seen quite a few smoked salt threads in the past, did you end up referencing any of them?

image.jpeg

I blended the pods with the salt and let them sit together in a jar for a few hours, then smoked them in a foil tray and let the heat go up a bit which helped dry it out while it smoked.  Great flavor and not over smokey.  You can still taste the strong super hot flavor.  Letting it dry on the counter some more before making the salt smaller again this time i will use the coffee grinder, pleased with the first attempt and will try another batch today with red pods and cherry wood.  I used pecan wood on this first batch.

Because you took it sideways by tilting your phone, and the software on your phone corrected it in view mode (called an orientation tag) but the file is still technically sideways.

The Hot Pepper said:
Instead of grinding it now in the coffee grinder, how about putting some in a salt mill to use on the spot?

http://amzn.to/2aeB99q

etc.
Dang it your always right lol.

The Hot Pepper said:
Because you took it sideways by tilting your phone, and the software on your phone corrected it in view mode (called an orientation tag) but the file is still technically sideways.
well my sideways screen lock button is always on so i'm still confused.  

jedisushi06 said:
Dang it your always right lol.

well my sideways screen lock button is always on so i'm still confused.  

Basically the pic is sideways and when you upload it to FB or modern sites it knows to rotate it, but this software does not. It's called an EXIF orientation tag. You can click edit and save before uploading and it should fix it.

Back