• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Reaper and Ghorpion(?)

I got some small plants more than a year ago for my first foray into peppers hotter than habañero. The smallest were represented to be reapers. They never grew last year. This year they're doing great and will produce a lot of peppers. I feel fairly sure these are reapers.

reaper%201%201024.jpg

The older, larger plant I got last year is the one in question. The man who grew the starts from seed says it's a scorpion (he saw pictures of some of the 8 peppers it made last year) but he admits he got his seeds crossed up so it could be a scorpion, a ghost or a viper. Regardless, the few peppers it gave me last year were deadly hot and delicious. This year the plant is in a 15 gallon tree pot and huge. I'll get a monumental harvest from it. I'm very pleased with the plant and will try to keep it going by over-wintering, cloning and/or growing from seed. I have three seed babies from the plant so it will be interesting to see what they produce.

Personally, I doubt it's a scorpion but wondering what y'all think it is?

unknown%201%201024.jpg

Per Puckerbutt Pepper company, this is what Christopher Phillips (greatly respected name) seed stock for the Trinidad Scorpion pepper will produce.

http://store.puckerbuttpeppercompany.com/products/cp-321-trinidad-scorpion-red-cardi

Notice how close it resembles the pepper you are asking about?

There are so many different things called 'Scorpions',but most people seem to think they all have the lips / ring like a Butch T Scorpion.  Not so at all.  In fact,the distinct shape of the Butch T is one of the reasons it has its own name.  From what I can tell from reading, the earliest shape to be called a Scorpion looked very much like the one you shared with the blunt taper at the end but no folded over lip part like the Reaper.

Fresh view. Second opinions?

I picked some off my Scorpion/Ghost plant. This plant gave me 8 peppers last year. The peppers this year are as I remember from last year. Hot and tasty but not as hot as the reaper. The reaper pod pictured above was death wish hot.

Edit: The man who grew the plants says these are definitely his Trinidad Scorpions and different from the Ghost and Viper he grows. I had one on a tomato and Vidalia onion sandwich last night and it was lovely.

Back