• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Easiest way to collect pollen from flowers?

Q-tips (ie. cotton swabs) work well for collecting the pollen on and then using to pollinate - hard part is trying to keep the thing from self pollinating before you get to it. ( unless you remove the anthers before they become viable )

Could do it the way the Chile Pepper Institute does it using Bees (see around the 2 minute mark in the video )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd2z6EPGVck

If you want to collect pollen for storage, you can use a flower sifter (link for pics) to seperate the pollen from flower. Then you can store pollen in these (link) for a long time if stored correctly (temps/humidity/etc). That's basically how I do it with canna pollen...

Free-Shipping-Kitchen-Stainless-Steel-Manual-8-Cup-Crank-Flour-Sifter-Food-Sifter-Flour-Shaker-Strainer.jpg

41-yk%2BKYRsL._SX466_.jpg

Flower sifter can be bought at Alberstons for $6 or so

I sift the pollen over a mirror and scrape up with a razor. They have funnels for those Boston Round bottles, but the pollen sticks tot he metal and you will lose a lot.

TIP: be SURE to label the bottles!!!

I like to dump more than a few grains of desiccant (Amazon link) in the bottle with the pollen as well

I just use mini centrifuge vials, I have a 100 count storage box, Just tap viable flowers over vial, freeze and store. I just recently used one year old pollen for a cross and it took. 

I number the vials and keep a spreadsheet indicating what pollen is in each vial. I also do a similar spreadsheet for crosses with the butterfly tags. 

PIFPP1Y.jpg

Back