• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

The seed company doesn't know what this is

I have had no real luck identifying this pepper.  Itgrew out of a packet of seeds for miniature orange bells from Sandia seed, and I have contacted them, but they are unsure as well (other than maybe it is a hybrid).

I am planning on entering peppers in my state fair this year, and my ghost peppers look like they will not be ready (no signs of ripening yet and I have to have them there in less than two weeks).  I plan to enter these instead if I can identify them (they tell me that I have to have a name for them).

The plant is quite large and bushy and produces very high yield.  They seem to ripen very fast - only a day or two once they show signs of turning.  They are hot, but not outrageously hot.  They are probably somewhere between a Serrano and a cayenne for heat level.  The ones that I've tasted vary quite a bit.

The first four pictures are taken about a month before the remaining pictures.  The last one is for size comparison of the ripened peppers (they are pretty consistent in size) - the other varieties present there are jalapenos, miniature bells, and red and yellow cayennes (the other one at top, I also am unsure about, but suspect they may be Anaheims - they came from the jalapeno packet).

Anything anybody can tell me would be very appreciated.

qCNqu5n.jpg
sOGwMp5.jpg
2eJsuil.jpg
yDGwCpv.jpg
8lna8TF.jpg
HmuuQT5.jpg
GuoCu8A.jpg

3P5YTnj.jpg

Capsacin-junkie said:
Does appear to be fresnos but they seem rather small for a fresno. Have you tried any yet?

That is once of the first things that I suspected, but as I said in my original post, they seem hotter than a Serrano.  I don't have any experience with that variety, but my understanding is that they tend to be under 10,000 scoville, and these are definitely hotter than that.  They do resemble a jalapeno in taste, and that would be consistent with a fresno.

thegreenman said:
Super Chili. or seedling from the F1 I had an identical pheno from kept seeds from Super Chili. 

I can see that.  There is definitely some real resemblance with the plants, although this plant seems bigger than those.  Aren't they usually shaped more like a cayenne with a pointed tip as well?  The heat level does seem about right there - these might be a little milder, but that seems to be a common occurrence for me.

I sent these same pictures to the Chili Pepper Institute at New Mexico State, and they are pretty certain that they are Fresnos.  The seed company that I bought the packet that these were in from did previously sell Fresnos (although they are not listed in their online catalog right now), so it is possible that some of those seeds made it in there.

I'd say that is definitely what they are as both some posters here and the Institute thought that and there is a way for the seeds to have got mixed up, except these are so much hotter than they should be in that case.  That is throwing me, but I've ended up with things much hotter than they should be before.

Plecodude said:
My guess would be that these are Thai Giants especially since they grow upward.

Looking up some pictures, there is some very strong resemblance there.  But I'm not sure how I'd end up with seeds that the company that packaged them doesn't sell (and never has as far as I know).

Back