• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Uses for thick vs thin walled peppers

I understand that thin walled peppers dry better. Are thick or thin walled peppers better for powders, sauces, etc.?

Any other uses or reasons that you might want one or the other?

Also, when I say wall I mean flesh. I would consider the skin to be the shiny, sometimes a little waxy this layer on top of the flesh. If my understanding here is wrong, please correct me!

They dry faster not better. Many thick and thin walled peppers make great powder, flake, pods, etc. Take an ancho for example. Thick walled, great cooking pepper. (It's a dried red poblano)

Also if you want dried pods that keep their shape, thin walled may be too brittle and end up being crushed. So I'd add this:

Thin walled makes great crushed pepper (I find some thick walled peppers to be a bit leathery or dense for "crushed" pepper)
Thick or thin makes great powder
Thick makes good dried pods (chipotle etc.)

For sauce... any.

The Hot Pepper said:
They dry faster not better. Many thick and thin walled peppers make great powder, flake, pods, etc. Take an ancho for example. Thick walled, great cooking pepper. (It's a dried red poblano)
Makes sense. I was under the impression that faster was better since faster = less chance of mold. But then again I don't have a dehydrator so I'll either be sun drying or drying (may or may not add wood for smoke) in my Weber kettle.

Back