• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Blueberry, Raspberry, and Scorpions

My first sauce, based off a caribbeanpot.com recipe
28764943592_8386dd5ac7_z.jpg

Mix of 1 pint blueberries,1 pint Raspberries, 2 Green Onion, 2 Lime & 2 Mandarin Orange Juice, White Vinegar, Brown Sugar, Honey, Salt, and a touch of All Spice. Peppers: 2 Fresno, 8 Trinidad Sweet Cherry, 1 7 Pot Primo, 5 CARDI Scorpion, 4 7 Pot Bubblegum.

28585204080_a193b1dea0_z.jpg

Cooked down, and then strained. Added 1/4 tsp of Xanthan gum, which gave the perfect consistency. Sanitized all bottles and caps with Star-San. Checked PH <4, and then hot-filled bottles.

28764943702_2ed41c7558_z.jpg

Taste: Slight sweet blueberry jam taste upfront, following by lasting full mouth heat. Going to be great on grilled chicken/pork.

Psychographic said:
That sounds delicious.

Any chance you could give the measurements of all the ingredients? I've never made hot sauce and this looks like a good recipe to start with.

Here is the recipe I based mine on. I followed the same process in general, but strained the sauce after cooking it down, add 1/4 t Xanthan blended, and then brought it back up to 180F before bottling. I used a blend of peppers I had on hand from my garden.

My Version (4 x 150 ml woozy bottles)
Notes: I would only use 1 lime (pH was 3.2). Remove Honey [brown sugar was enough]. Increase peppers by 25% to go from medium to hot [It has a smooth full mouth heat now, but increasing peppers would bring it closer to heartbreaking dawns 1498 (one of my fav)]

2 limes juice (54 ml)
2 Mandarin orange juice (120 ml)
4 cups blueberries + 4 cups raspberries (641 grams)
2 green onions chopped (29 g)
Honey 2 T
Brown Sugar 1/2 C 
White Vinegar 1/2 C
Sea Salt 1 t
All Spice (ground) 1/4 t

Chilies
2 Fresno (150 g)
8 Trinidad Sweet Cherry (30 g)
5 CARDI Scorpion (29 g)
1 7-Pot Primo (6 g)
4 7-Pot Bubblegum (14 g)

InsectMan said:
Looks really good!
Just a quick question, is checking the pH of the sauce an important step?

a pH <4.6 is dependent on a stable shelf product. FDA requires a pH of 4.0 or lower before going into the bottle. This way, you can keep your hotsauce in the bottle for more than a couple months before it starts getting funky. Basically, low pH so you don't get botulism.

Man this looked so good I had to try it! Made half batch only thing I changed was the peppers. Used peach habaneros and Caribbean red habaneros. Used 12 pods. Taste great sweet then nice warm heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnance said:
Man this looked so good I had to try it! Made half batch only thing I changed was the peppers. Used peach habaneros and Caribbean red habaneros. Used 12 pods. Taste great sweet then nice warm heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just made another sauce, Curry Habanero Papaya, man those little guys really have some heat!

Silly question... as I'm looking at making some sauce on the weekend... how do you test the pH level?
Oh, and if it's above the 4.6 (or 4.0 whatever you aim for) magic number, how do you bring it down below that?

troy71mo said:
Silly question... as I'm looking at making some sauce on the weekend... how do you test the pH level?

Oh, and if it's above the 4.6 (or 4.0 whatever you aim for) magic number, how do you bring it down below that?

I use a pH meter to check. Addition of more lime juice or vinegar to decrease pH. pH isnt as much of a concern if you plan to keep the sauce in the fridge.

Oh man how did I miss this one? This may be my new breakfast hot sauce. I'm gonna have to give it a shot this weekend, hopefully using yellow brainstrains doesn't alter the color too much. Might make it a bit pink, I'd be cool with that

sail&brew said:

I use a pH meter to check. Addition of more lime juice or vinegar to decrease pH. pH isnt as much of a concern if you plan to keep the sauce in the fridge.
im looking at getting a descent ph tester. what to you recommend? want to keep it somewhat simple. 

Back