• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor DIY PVC Grow Tent Question(s)

So after getting inspired by another college student on here, Coup (thanks again for the ideas man, even though we haven't spoken ever lol), I decided that an efficient use of space would be fore a grow tent. My main concern would be lighting, I already have the specs down for the PVC and the mylar (which will cover all the sides and I will leave one side untapped to use as a flap), but as for the lighting I'm not sure how much would be enough. I'm thinking of making a 3.5 ft wide tent but not sure what to use for lighting. As this will be strictly indoors, I was thinking about getting one SunBlaster 3ft with reflector, however, I'm not sure if that would be enough. I do have a T8 Reptisun leftover from my reptiles though if that would help at all. Also, for the heat, would the mylar be good to keep the heat in? If not, I can always run a heat mat underneath the trays/pots. How does this all sound so far? Thanks!

Kikaida said:
You're going to generate heat from the light, plus if its inside, normal temperature ranges should be sufficient. I'd use the heat mat only for germination. As for lighting, if you're looking for florescent https://www.amazon.com/Agrobrite-FLT24-Fixture-Included-Fluorescent/dp/B002JQBQZQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1470857852&sr=8-8&keywords=t5 or the 4' model.

Thanks for the reply! Would the florescent be sufficient for the plant by itself? And would just normal florescent bulbs from Home Depot work for it if it needs to be replaced? How far should the lights be from the plants? I'm just a bit weary for temps. as I've read 80-85 is optimal, or is that for germination itself?

Thanks and I apologize for all the questions!

MAke sure you use High Output T5 bulbs for best efficiency and output

Of course, be sure your fixture handles High Output (commonly listed on pakaging as HO) bulbs.
If you use Fluorescent
Fluorescents may or may not (depending on a few factors) be enough to set fruit...
But they will put out the least amount of heat, aside from maybe LEDs

mrgrowguy said:
MAke sure you use High Output T5 bulbs for best efficiency and output

Of course, be sure your fixture handles High Output (commonly listed on pakaging as HO) bulbs.

If you use Fluorescent

Fluorescents may or may not (depending on a few factors) be enough to set fruit...

But they will put out the least amount of heat, aside from maybe LEDs

Planning to get this fixture:
https://www.amazon.com/T5-Grow-Light-Fluorescent-Hydroponic/dp/B00NMX5EGC/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_product_top?ie=UTF8#Ask

It does come with with T5 HO bulbs as well. Question though, will the 6500k be good for growing hot peppers and producing pods? And how close should they be to the plants?

InsectMan said:

Planning to get this fixture:
https://www.amazon.com/T5-Grow-Light-Fluorescent-Hydroponic/dp/B00NMX5EGC/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_product_top?ie=UTF8#Ask

It does come with with T5 HO bulbs as well. Question though, will the 6500k be good for growing hot peppers and producing pods? And how close should they be to the plants?

Well, if that is the light you choose and you feel like you need some more redish light in the mix, you can buy a few extra bulbs (you'll eventually need them anyways) and alternate every other bulb 6500K, 3000K, 6500K, 3000K, etc.

My only criticism about the size of tent and light you're chosing is if you really want to flower/fruit in the tent, you will likely only be able to fit one plant in there. If that is cool, then I think you'll be good with the fixture you linked (in a 3.5 footing tent).

I use a 4-foot  4-bulb HO T5 light (216watts) for vegging my canna and pepper plants, it covers a 2.5' x 5' area kind of well. I am not sure if it'll be enough to fruit under. Not saying that it can't, it's just that there's a possibility it won't. Building a new environment (and not using high intensity lights like MH, HPS, Ceramic Metal Halide) can be considered experimental until proven otherwise. But, as mentioned before, going with Fluoro will help keep the temps down, and temps are very important. Then again, so is light, and space, and ...etc...etc...LOL.

BEST OF LUCK!! I would search through the GLOGs for people with similar setups and see what their outcome is like. But know that your environment, as similar as you can make it, may still yield different results.

mrgrowguy said:

Well, if that is the light you choose and you feel like you need some more redish light in the mix, you can buy a few extra bulbs (you'll eventually need them anyways) and alternate every other bulb 6500K, 3000K, 6500K, 3000K, etc.

My only criticism about the size of tent and light you're chosing is if you really want to flower/fruit in the tent, you will likely only be able to fit one plant in there. If that is cool, then I think you'll be good with the fixture you linked (in a 3.5 footing tent).

I use a 4-foot  4-bulb HO T5 light for vegging my canna and pepper plants, it covers a 2.5' x 5' area kind of well. I am not sure if it'll be enough to fruit under. Not saying that it can't, it's just that there's a possibilty it won't. Building a new environment (and not using high intensity lights like MH, HPS, Ceramic Metal Halide) can be considered experimental until proven otherwise. But, as mentioned before, going with Fluoro will help keep the temps down, and temps are very important. Then again, so is light, and space, and ...etc...etc...LOL.

BEST OF LUCK!! I would search through the GLOGs for people with similar setups and see what their outcome is like. But know that your environment, as similar as you can make it, may still yield different results.

Gotcha thanks!

So just to reiterate, here's the light fixture:
https://www.amazon.com/T5-Grow-Light-Fluorescent-Hydroponic/dp/B00NMX5EGC/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Total Watts allowed: 195

Lights:
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/89112/SUN-901594.html#BVRRWidgetID 24 Watts 6500k
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/89111/SUN-901593.html#BVRRWidgetID 24 Watts 3000k
Total watts from bulbs: 192

Is this still okay?

As for the plants producing, I'll be trimming/pruning/topping/training them down to at least 10" so they'll be more compact. Another member shared a photo of a 6" pepper plant that was producing really well so I'll try recreating that. I won't crowd them in, the 2 ft x 2 ft grow tent comfortably fits around 4 so I'll just keep it at that.

Thanks again!

Just checking back the math to see how much it would cost to run, I'd still be able to run this, but it would be a bit better if I switched over to a 6 bulb. Do you think a 6 bulb would run just as well?

InsectMan said:

Gotcha thanks!

So just to reiterate, here's the light fixture:
https://www.amazon.com/T5-Grow-Light-Fluorescent-Hydroponic/dp/B00NMX5EGC/ref=cm_cr_othr_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Total Watts allowed: 195

Lights:
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/89112/SUN-901594.html#BVRRWidgetID 24 Watts 6500k
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/89111/SUN-901593.html#BVRRWidgetID 24 Watts 3000k
Total watts from bulbs: 192

Is this still okay?

As for the plants producing, I'll be trimming/pruning/topping/training them down to at least 10" so they'll be more compact. Another member shared a photo of a 6" pepper plant that was producing really well so I'll try recreating that. I won't crowd them in, the 2 ft x 2 ft grow tent comfortably fits around 4 so I'll just keep it at that.

Thanks again!

That sounds great, and I think your goal is definitely achievable with that arrangement.

Are the plants you're using, by chance, smaller growth types? I ask because some plants have longer internodal spacing, which means that if kept at 10 inches, you may only have two or three nodes total. And, if you have an Annuum, which produces (usually?) only one or two pods per node, you wouldn't have a plant that's producing much.

But I had read a post in this forum with a 6 inch heavily fruited variety, but it seemed like (I may totally be wrong) a smaller, though not exactly, Thai variety, similar to the Thai Dragon, which is naturally pretty small (one of the smallest I've seen) and is naturally adept at fruiting small. Another really small example that I'm growing right now is the Purple Flash, it sits right next to my Brazilian Starfish (Baccatum). Now, I think it may be difficult to keep a Brazilian Starfish under two feet and fruiting, lol.

Here is a pic of 5 plants (two on the right, one behind the other) that were all started at the same time. The Purple Flash in the center bottom and the Brazilian Starfish behind it.

...just to show you what I mean with a visual aide :)

The Purple Flash has at least 3 fruits set already. Brazilian Starfish has yet to set its first flower. (Braz. Starfish took a beating from heat/light shock and mites. But everything is cleared up and the new growth is super healthy)
28839658662_5d2f53eaca_h.jpg

Pictured (left to right, front to back) Yaki Brown, Purple Flash, Black Pearl (a shorter Annuum), (back center) Brazilian Starfish, (can't really see) Pink Tiger

Long story short, yes, I think you can pull it off  :party: But, it will definitely be a fun learning experience.

mrgrowguy said:

That sounds great, and I think your goal is definitely achievable with that arrangement.

Are the plants you're using, by chance, smaller growth types? I ask because some plants have longer internodal spacing, which means that if kept at 10 inches, you may only have two or three nodes total. And, if you have an Annuum, which produces (usually?) only one or two pods per node, you wouldn't have a plant that's producing much.

But I had read a post in this forum with a 6 inch heavily fruited variety, but it seemed like (I may totally be wrong) a smaller, though not exactly, Thai variety, similar to the Thai Dragon, which is naturally pretty small (one of the smallest I've seen) and is naturally adept at fruiting small. Another really small example that I'm growing right now is the Purple Flash, it sits right next to my Brazilian Starfish (Baccatum). Now, I think it may be difficult to keep a Brazilian Starfish under two feet and fruiting, lol.

Here is a pic of 5 plants (two on the right, one behind the other) that were all started at the same time. The Purple Flash in the center bottom and the Brazilian Starfish behind it.

...just to show you what I mean with a visual aide :)

The Purple Flash has at least 3 fruits set already. Brazilian Starfish has yet to set its first flower.
28839658662_5d2f53eaca_h.jpg

Long story short, yes, I think you can pull it off  :party: But, it will definitely be a fun learning experience

Thanks for the reply!

I'll be growing these:
Peruvian White Habanero
Carolina Reaper
Ghost Pepper
Foodarama Scotch Bonnets

Think they would work well with the setup in mind? And do you think a 6 bulb 144 watt fixture would work as well?

InsectMan said:

Thanks for the reply!

I'll be growing these:
Peruvian White Habanero
Carolina Reaper
Ghost Pepper
Foodarama Scotch Bonnets

Think they would work well with the setup in mind? And do you think a 6 bulb 144 fixture would work as well?

1 of each? My opinion, doable, with the right attention/positioning/pruning. Though, I have no experience growing any Scotch Bonnets yet. The Hab will hopefully be/stay smallish. The Reaper can be a big plant in my experience, but I think you may be able to keep it contained, not sure about yield but worth a try, and maybe not under 10 inches, but yeah. Ghost can probably be worked with.

If anyone else can chime in with experience in keeping one or more of the items in InsectMan's list short and yielding, I'm sure it could help.

good luck, hope this helps even a little

Edit:  Oh, normally it takes something like 200ish-400ish watts per plant to keep a larger mature plant producing decently, but, your situation considered, might be OK with 200 watts of Fluoro. But if you went to 6 bulbs, you'd be down a few (48?) watts and would just lessen your odds. 

I mean everything is a gamble, right? Even if you ran twin 1000watt bulbs in an AC'd room, a plane could land on your house and take out your garden... ya know... anything could happen :)

mrgg

mrgrowguy said:

1 of each? My opinion, doable, with the right attention/positioning/pruning. Though, I have no experience growing any Scotch Bonnets yet. The Hab will hopefully be/stay smallish. The Reaper can be a big plant in my experience, but I think you may be able to keep it contained, not sure about yield but worth a try, and maybe not under 10 inches, but yeah. Ghost can probably be worked with.

If anyone else can chime in with experience in keeping one or more of the items in InsectMan's list short and yielding, I'm sure it could help.

good luck, hope this helps even a little

Edit:  Oh, normally it takes something like 200ish-400ish watts per plant to keep a larger mature plant producing decently, but, your situation considered, might be OK with 200 watts of Fluoro. But if you went to 6 bulbs, you'd be down a few (58?) watts and would just lessen your odds.

mrgg
Edit: Made a mistake lol

Watch your pot size...smaller pot increases the odds of a smaller plant. At least that's what I've experienced.

Back