• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

lime juice

hogleg said:
I dont think it matters as long as the ph is brought to a safe level. I do know they use sulfites to preserve (so called) freshness in bottled though. IMO sulfites are not a problem, but bottled never taste like fresh squozen to me.

I grew a lime tree for that very reason and a lemon as well.

hogleg said:
I dont think it matters as long as the ph is brought to a safe level. I do know they use sulfites to preserve (so called) freshness in bottled though. IMO sulfites are not a problem, but bottled never taste like fresh squozen to me.
:WOOT:  New Word!   Love it~  :dance:

Fresh or bottled lime juice doesn't matter as far as the pH is concerned.  Taste is another matter, sometimes it is important, sometimes the lime flavor isn't so prominent and bottled juice will work.  Availability is another issue.  Then once you have one variety of lime tree, different varieties can taste different.  But usually lime is one of the back flavors and not so prominent, so flavor of the lime isn't as critical as it would be in a Lime Pie. 

The advantage for using bottled citrus is consistent pH as fresh citrus pH will change slightly as the fruit ages.  Sulfites and taste are another matter entirely though.  Best bet would be to get a pH meter (they're pretty cheap at amazon) and then use fresh citrus to get to safe pH levels.  

Lime juice? yea lol. Check your health food store, they will have lemon and lime in glass bottles, one popular brand is Lakewood. 2 tablespoons =  juice of a lemon/lime.

The Hot Pepper said:
Lime juice? yea lol. Check your hippie food store, they will have lemon and lime in glass bottles, one popular brand is Lakewood. 2 tablespoons =  juice of a lemon/lime.
FIFY
I'm not a fan of the santa cruz "lime" or "tart cherry" el spitto imo.

I pretty much always used fresh squeezed and i dont add lime until the very end anytime im cooking with it. If you want a strong lime flavor don't cook it at all. Add it when you open the jar or at serving time.

Back