• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Not a bhut...

Saw some Bhut Jolokia peppers at a local nursery this spring. I was surprised to see them, since if it's more exotic then a jalapeno, or a habanero they tend not to carry it. So grabbed a couple and stuck them in my garden.

Plant #1
l18uaPZl.jpg

That plant looks fine, however...

lyZZrj9l.jpg

These guys are NOT Bhuts. Thinking maybe dorset naga by the looks. It wasn't the only mislabled plant either. Their "poblano" plants turned out to be regular bells.

Guess you just can't trust some nurseries.

DaQatz said:
Saw some Bhut Jolokia peppers at a local nursery this spring. I was surprised to see them, since if it's more exotic then a jalapeno, or a habanero they tend not to carry it. So grabbed a couple and stuck them in my garden.

Plant #1
l18uaPZl.jpg

That plant looks fine, however...

lyZZrj9l.jpg

These guys are NOT Bhuts. Thinking maybe dorset naga by the looks. It wasn't the only mislabled plant either. Their "poblano" plants turned out to be regular bells.

Guess you just can't trust some nurseries.

I had the same problem this year with my local nurseries.

You're probably going to see this a lot, b/c most folks can't tell the difference, but the bhut has more name recognition and the naga is way more productive.  

That's cool you can find them where you live.  The bhut plant looks good, you might be right about the other, could be a Dorset Naga or a cross with something else...

Had a handful of ripes from the "Dorset Naga" plant...

They taste pretty much like a dorset, just one major issue.

No heat... like none. A few slight prickles in the placenta. But aside from that it's a sweet chili.

No clue what to make of it.

Yeah collected the seeds from the ripes. Until the plants got some size the plant was identical to the bhut plant. The leaves on it are a little flatter, and the "creases" are less dark. Mind you the flowers on both plants are the same.

Let's see if the seeds breed anything near what I have now. 

Back