• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting My "wimpy" orange habanero ferment starts today

Just got done finely chopping

10 orange habs (seeds removed)
1.5 cups of carrot
1 large red cowhorn
10 Yellow finger hot peppers....These are actually very mild.
2 Lombardo pepperoncini peppers that turned red on me. (I only pickle them green, reds get soft in the brine)
3 small shallots

Mixed with
1 tbs Morton's canning salt
2 cups water for a 3.6% brine solution
2 tbs of dbl strength rice vinegar (not really needed i just like to get the ph headed in the right direction early)
3 tbs of homemade kraut juice to kick start the fermentation

Most of the peppers i froze last week. It turns out the orange habs i grew are way hotter than the ones i bought a few months ago. The plant is still loaded so i wanted to make a fairly small test batch. After the ferment im going mix some of it with pineapple juice concentrate for a sweet sauce.

BTW has anyone done a ferment then pasteurize then ferment again?...I did this totally by accident once and the sauce turned out extremely good.

IMG_0555_zpsx3x6urug.jpg

Blended and cooking down now. I added

5 fresh habs with seeds
Heaping tsp of toasted coriander
Light tsp toasted cumin
Tsp garlic powder
Small piece of crystallized ginger (about a heaping tsp)
5 semi ripe (orange) cherry tomatoes.

Initial taste of the cooking mash is excellent. I reserved most of the brine and added some water to the mash instead.

I added back enough of the lacto brine to almost cover the peppers. The mash was reduced to around 50% of the water i used for cooking, The brine was added at the very end of the cooking in hopes it would pasteurize from the residual heat in the pan..

The flavor is interesting. The softer "bite" of lactic acid vs acetic acid is very noticeable but it is still plenty acidic. I only added 1 more tbs of 8% brown rice vinegar to about a quart of sauce. The heat is certainly there but not so much to cover up the other more subtle flavors.

Back