• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Storm took a branch off one of my scotch bonnets, advice?

Big storm rolled through Chicago yesterday and took this nicely laden branch off one of my SBs.
Any advice on trying to ripen them? I've done a bit of reading but figured it'd be worth asking here as well.
Anyone have success with the paper bag method? Add a banana? An apple? Just put them in a bowl?

on3uKOs.jpg

8ba6729f7ebbe6bc9e6ed2b0e5dbae095e76084ef0e44480ae021e4fdcb4d345.jpg

ajdrew said:
I'd crush up an aspirin, add it to water, and put the branch in the water in mild sun light. Have had it keep the branch alive long enough for pods to ripen.  Not sure what the aspirin does, but know it is one of the tricks to keep cut flowers alive longer.

Timely advice for me, as well. I just lost two loaded branches of an Elysium oxide (see my glog). I'll pick the ripe ones and see if I can convince any of the others to ripen, too.
     Thanks!

Like AJ said. I have had branches snap with very small set pods. My small pods matured to normal size and i had roots sprout to become a new plant. Just change the water out every few days.
If you have access to a white willow tree you can make a tea from the leaves.
It is aspirin.

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I'm going to make some salsa tomorrow (tried one today and it was still damn tasty) and then try ripening the remainder in different ways to see what works the best

Psychographic said:
If you plan to put it in water, your chances are much greater if you drop an airstone in it hooked to an aquarium pump.

That's only true if your temperature is somewhere between about 64 and 76 degrees F.  So indoors, under lights, or outside on the cooler summer days...  Otherwise, your chances bode  the same with stationary liquid.

solid7 said:

That's only true if your temperature is somewhere between about 64 and 76 degrees F.  So indoors, under lights, or outside on the cooler summer days...  Otherwise, your chances bode  the same with stationary liquid.
How can this be true if the hotter the water, the less dissolved oxygen it can hold?

Psychographic said:
How can this be true if the hotter the water, the less dissolved oxygen it can hold?

How can it not be true?  BETWEEN 64 and 76 degrees is not too hot, considering it's the target range for a hydroponics reservoir...

I'm afraid that I completely don't understand where you are coming from!

You said it it's only true if the water is between 64 and 76 degrees.  Therefore anything over this range would benefit from adding oxygen to the water. I seriously doubt that anyone would be trying to clone a plant under 64 degrees, but many times during the summer it's very easy for the water to get above 76 degrees.

If you plan to put it in water, your chances are much greater if you drop an airstone in it hooked to an aquarium pump.
That's only true if your temperature is somewhere between about 64 and 76 degrees F. So indoors, under lights, or outside on the cooler summer days... Otherwise, your chances bode the same with stationary liquid.
You said it it's only true if the water is between 64 and 76 degrees.  Therefore anything over this range would benefit from adding oxygen to the water. I seriously doubt that anyone would be trying to clone a plant under 64 degrees, but many times during the summer it's very easy for the water to get above 76 degrees.
It's pretty obvious to me... I guess that's the reason that I said it the way that I did. But in case the other words were too hard to follow along, here it is again, in a different way...

If the temperature of the liquid isn't between 64 and 76 degrees, there isn't much good hooking up an airstone. If your water temperature is over 76, you'll fare just as well in a glass of un-aerated liquid.

I have no idea why that clarification was even necessary, but there you go.

solid7 said:
It's pretty obvious to me... I guess that's the reason that I said it the way that I did. But in case the other words were too hard to follow along, here it is again, in a different way...

If the temperature of the liquid isn't between 64 and 76 degrees, there isn't much good hooking up an airstone. If your water temperature is over 76, you'll fare just as well in a glass of un-aerated liquid.

I have no idea why that clarification was even necessary, but there you go.
First off let me say I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm trying to understand your point. It is very hard to show emotion, nor lack of it through a typed word.

You said that there isn't a reason to add an airstone to water outside of the 64-76 degree range, but didn't explain why. Do you think an airstone will benefit in the 64-76 range, and if so, why?

First off let me say I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm trying to understand your point. It is very hard to show emotion, nor lack of it through a typed word.

You said that there isn't a reason to add an airstone to water outside of the 64-76 degree range, but didn't explain why. Do you think an airstone will benefit in the 64-76 range, and if so, why?
Because in a hydroponics setup, the only way that you'll be able to saturate a solution with oxygen, is when you operate within that temperature range, or something very close to it. Outside of those parameters, you're just blowing bubbles. If you just like bubbles, that's OK, too.

solid7 said:
Because in a hydroponics setup, the only way that you'll be able to saturate a solution with oxygen, is when you operate within that temperature range, or something very close to it. Outside of those parameters, you're just blowing bubbles. If you just like bubbles, that's OK, too.
No you are not just blowing bubbles, you are creating flow in the vessel. Water gets it's oxygen through surface contact with the atmosphere. In stagnant water the oxygen might be plentiful at the surface, but not below it.

I've got many years of keeping reef aquariums where the temps are above 76 degrees. Adding oxygen is very import to the health of the inhabitants.

Now if your point is that temps above this range can hold less oxygen, I will agree with you 100%. But to say that adding an airstone above 76 is a waste, I'll have to disagree with you.

No you are not just blowing bubbles, you are creating flow in the vessel. Water gets it's oxygen through surface contact with the atmosphere. In stagnant water the oxygen might be plentiful at the surface, but not below it.

I've got many years of keeping reef aquariums where the temps are above 76 degrees. Adding oxygen is very import to the health of the inhabitants.

Now if your point is that temps above this range can hold less oxygen, I will agree with you 100%. But to say that trying to add any above 76 is a waste, I'll have to disagree with you.
It's whatever. Peppers clone just fine in stagnant water. They grow hydroponically in that other range.

Do a series of side-by-side experiments, and see if there's any real benefit. I used to clone cuttings all of the time, and I saw absolutely ZERO difference, one way, or the other. (up to the point of actually establishing roots)

Feel free to add whatever you like. We are now officially at the point of unnecessary tangents, at which we should probably both be ashamed for actually engaging. It is a cutting in a glass of water, after all. No real breakthroughs having been made, and whatnot...

solid7 said:
It's whatever. Peppers clone just fine in stagnant water. They grow hydroponically in that other range.

Do a series of side-by-side experiments, and see if there's any real benefit. I used to clone cuttings all of the time, and I saw absolutely ZERO difference, one way, or the other. (up to the point of actually establishing roots)

Feel free to add whatever you like. We are now officially at the point of unnecessary tangents, at which we should probably both be ashamed for actually engaging. It is a cutting in a glass of water, after all. No real breakthroughs having been made, and whatnot...
I don't think either of us have anything to be ashamed of., we were just stating what we both have knowledge/experience of.

I have done a lot of cloning and my experience has been much faster and more successful when not using stagnant water.  I will say I have never tried to clone a pepper plant.

When you say "up to the point of actually establishing roots", how long due you usually let them grow before planting? I like to let mine grow out a bit, usually an inch to 2 inches for a small clone, before planting. I've broken way to many roots trying to plant them to soon.

I hope we are good and there is no hard feelings, as I said before it's way to hard to understand a persons emotions through a written word. None of my replies were meant in a combative way and I hope they didn't come across that way.

There's no hard feelings. I'm not like that. I leave that to other people to decide to have hard feelings - but just because I can be an asshole, doesn't mean that doors are ever closed, from my side.

For tomatoes, I let them just start to establish white root nubs. (I don't just run with the brown, hardened ones) This typically happens within a few days.
For peppers, I might let them get about an inch long, but never long swirly things that are going to mat up when I try to put them into their new home. Typically, when I put ANY clone into a new container, I try to flood the new container to the point of slurry, so that there isn't any forcing anything. Just float it in, and let the water drain. (I do this by mostly submerging the transplant container in a another container of water, and then just lifting it out when everything is how I want it)

For peppers, I assume that if it grew roots to begin with, it's viable. Has seemed to be pretty failsafe so far.

solid7 said:
 Typically, when I put ANY clone into a new container, I try to flood the new container to the point of slurry, so that there isn't any forcing anything. Just float it in, and let the water drain. (I do this by mostly submerging the transplant container in a another container of water, and then just lifting it out when everything is how I want it)
nice tip on the slurry and drain. I will try that in the future

Back