• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Making pepper powder

I'm sure this can be much improved upon, but this is how I've been making and storing my powder. The type I made here is very fine grade. I'm going to smoke the next batch before drying, then try to get a coarser/flake type consistency, maybe using a mortar/pestle or a different processor. The fine type is great, but sometimes the bigger pieces are better depending on how you're using them.

https://youtu.be/7N8oyvRkkQ8

Yeah, I've never blanched before dehydration either. I was just wondering if it was an issue regarding killing bacteria or whatever.

Thanks for sharing. I just dehydrated some peppers but never thought to use vinegar to clean them. Also the test tubes look like a good way to store them.

Mickey72 said:
Thanks for sharing. I just dehydrated some peppers but never thought to use vinegar to clean them. Also the test tubes look like a good way to store them.
Thanks. Yeah, the the test tubes work great especially for short term use. Like I mentioned in the video, for long term they should be in glass, preferably vacuum sealed. I like the test tubes because they're durable, don't leak, don't break easily and just the right size to carry around in my pocket. Also perfect for sharing with others. It doesn't take much to fill them either.

Thanx , great video.
I like the fine powder. I think it is about the most efficient way to store peppers.
The finer powder is good for stews , soups , chili and even making new sauces.
Always safety first, good storage keeps the wife happy.

Back