• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

blender or food processor? or both? or...? GO! :D

best recommendations for making small batch of sauce, just for home and for friends? i don't need some super $$$ setup. (yet, as the rabbit hole goes...lol)

and, as title asks...do i need both? or just one? i damn near got a headache reading all the crap out there, so i thought i would just ask those that know best...thp :D

The Hot Pepper said:
The Oster should work fine, as long as it's still working. 

FIFY.
Not sure why cb82 called it "crappy" - maybe it doesn't work too well for other things? I have a blender that doesn't crush ice too well, but it's fine for making sauces. But if it was called "crappy" because it's old and worn to the point of needing replacement, then get what can be afforded. 

cubbieblue82 said:
an old crappy oster, and one of those small-ish ninja things (its hers). so....pretty much nada. :D
It depends on how much money you want to spend. The Oster worked for me. Used it for 3 years. Finally gave out. Not bad for $20. If you want a thinner sauce, run it through a food mill.

Check out Craigslist. So many people buy food processors they do not use. Can get a brand new/used one for half the cost.

If not, a blender does a good job.

thanks guys. reading all of these CR and other articles out there made me feel like i need to spend 3 grand on equipment to make a couple bottles of sauce. lol.

moruga welder said:

i like your style !  I do know you have Jays peach g/s / peach Bhut placenta powder !    :party:

that sh** is killer. going through it at an alarming rate. :D thanks again! 

cubbieblue82 said:
thanks guys. reading all of these CR and other articles out there made me feel like i need to spend 3 grand on equipment to make a couple bottles of sauce. lol.

No need to throw down on equipment for a small batch of sauce.  The oster will work fine.  Assemble your ingredients and cook em down, then blend them up real good in the oster.  (watch out blending hot stuff though - the lid can pop off and spray the sauce everywhere).  Once blended it goes back in the pot to heat to temp and then into bottles for hot fill/hold.  PM me if you need anything else.  :)

cubbieblue82 said:

great to hear !  it bout killed me , and divorced making it !  lol     :D  

cubbieblue82 said:

NOOOOooo! Don't spend $$$ on equipment!  (unless you have lots of extra cash and nothing else to spend it on!  in that case...give me a call!  We'll get you kitted out BIG Time!  :lol:)

Back on the real side of life...any blender or processor is a benefit when making sauces.  Even if the unit isn't that great, if the sauce is cooked first, that will break down the fibers and make them easier for the blender or processor to work with.  And +++++ to what SnF said about working with heated sauces!  Let it cool a bit, and be CAREFUL!  

I'd invest in a good food processor and a food mill.  Secret weapon of small batch saucemakers.  I don't think regular blenders (outside of a Blendtec or Ninja) can get the really fine maceration a basic food processor can.   Plus, a FP comes with grater plates that can be really useful to just get all the sauce ingredients to a similar size so they cook at about the same rate.   Some have the Continuous Feed feature...  (#LOVE continuous feed feature... ;)  )

From there, you can play around with the consistencies and mouth feel of the sauces.  

Most of all......Have Fun!!!!  
SL
PS- I'm talking about a hand crank  SS food mill, some have assorted size plates... for $30 everywhere, and if you keep your eye out at the thrift store.... a nice tinned one for <$5...

salsalady said:
I don't think regular blenders (outside of a Blendtec or Ninja) can get the really fine maceration a basic food processor can.

You'd be surprised and I prefer blenders over fp. You also went from don't spend money to buying a bunch of stuff. :lol:

PS.

cubbieblue82 said:
best recommendations for making small batch of sauce, just for home and for friends?

$5 at the thrift store and $50 for a craigslist or ebay buy... not $$$....it just sounded like Cubbie's looking to make "a" purchase of "a" piece of equipment.  

And I did just buy a ninja (about $150) for "domestic smoothies" and I have not been impressed compared to the Blendtec just as a straight up blender.

I've used the Blendtec ($400-ish) for sauces and for powders.  It will pulverize dried pods and completely homogenize sauces with seeds so that a food mill is not needed. I've also done a lot with teh FP, and then run through the food mill to get rid of all the hard seed bits.  To m, that's the most economical for someone looking to work with sauce,and also offers the most options.  

You can deseed pods, especially at the home level, making a sauce for some guests. It's not like you're processing a ton of pods that all need deseeding, so you need the best machine for seeds.

cubbie is at the home level, I'd say don't buy anything yet. Get your feet wet. Ohhhh it rhymes.

salsalady said:
$5 at the thrift store and $50 for a craigslist or ebay buy... not $$$....it just sounded like Cubbie's looking to make "a" purchase of "a" piece of equipment.  

And I did just buy a ninja (about $150) for "domestic smoothies" and I have not been impressed compared to the Blendtec just as a straight up blender.

I've used the Blendtec ($400-ish) for sauces and for powders.  It will pulverize dried pods and completely homogenize sauces with seeds so that a food mill is not needed. I've also done a lot with teh FP, and then run through the food mill to get rid of all the hard seed bits.  To m, that's the most economical for someone looking to work with sauce,and also offers the most options.  

You Blendtech beats the Ninija pretty well, Especially if you're using the "cutting blades" vs their smoothy cup.

Really Blender quality goes like this
Vitamix < Blendtec < Ninja
And the gap between blendtec and ninja is much larger then Vitamix and Blendtec

:lol:  It Does rhyme!

True Dat~  for deseeding and such... I have to scale back and realize most are dehydrating 1 pound of peppers, not 50 pounds and to taylor replies as such.....

but then again....a couple well placed purchases and Cubbie will be all set to make those 36 bottles of hot sauce for Christmas gifts!!! :D

edit to include comment to DaQuatz-
Next weekend I'm gonna do a side by side with the FP, BlendTec, Ninja, Blender, BoatMotor, Whatever....for smoothies, dried pods and whatever else I can think of in the mean time.  Thanks for your comments.  I've not used a Vitamix and wasnt sure where it fit in the mix. 

(get it?  ;)  :lol: )

You can always get a food mill too, for about $20. Course chop your ingredients with a knife, add some liquid, simmer then put thru the mill to remove pulp and seeds.

My 2¢~

Attachments

• Food_mill_by_tokyofoodcast.jpg
    Food_mill_by_tokyofoodcast.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 62
Love food mills...

Much bang for $...

Back