• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Nat's Quick Hab Sauce

While at the store shopping for supper, I spotted a Dressing/Marinade that looked interesting.

"Drew's All Natural Thai Sesame Lime"

It made my mind start gearing up as I read the ingredients:

Pressed Canola Oil, Rice wine vinegar, Lime juice, Toasted sesame oil, Tamarind, Ginger, Garlic, Sesame seeds, Organic coconut, Organic soy sauce, Dijon Mustard, Sugar cane juice, Capers, Citric acid, Cilantro, Coriander, Lemongrass, Galangal root and Peppermint.

I grabbed a 12 ounce bottle of it and moved into the produce area to snatch up:

One large bell pepper, One large white onion and 12 of the largest orange habs in their basket.

After arriving at home, I dumped the "Drew's" into the blender, added the green pepper, onion and habs with a heaping teaspoon of roasted garlic and a teaspoon of curry powder.

Blended the collection until as smooth as it would get, dumped it into a pan and simmered it for 30 minutes.

Cooled it and tried it with my supper of stuffed pork chops, mixed veggies and mashed taters.

It was about twice the potency of the El Yuckateco Hab sauce and seriously good. Not anything for the plain pepper eaters that like it *really* hot, but very good for a table sauce that everyone can enjoy.

Just a fast, easy sauce I thought of on the spur of the moment.

It made 64 ounces of green Hab Sauce that has a slight tang to it with overtones of curry. Almost thick enough to be called a Salsa and could be used as such.

AlabamaJack said:
you cheated Nat... :lol: not fair to use store bought ingredients... (J/K)

that sounds delish..
hehe, I know! The bottle stressed "All Natural Ingredients", so I thought I've give it a go and see what it tasted like.

It's really good.

I think it all cost about $10 for the 64 ounces. Not a bad price.

Back